Hello! Anyone here?

It's been a couple of days since anyone posted, according to my searches. Was there some huge disaster I missed? Is everyone still recovering from the 4th?

Wait, I know. Everyone but me has left for the MJ memorial in LA. Or maybe everyone is in a stupor from the mass MJ coverage on television.

I think there were some digits blown off of many members screwing around with fireworks. Doesn't affect us 2 finger typers though.

Wait, I know. Everyone but me has left for the MJ memorial in LA. Or maybe everyone is in a stupor from the mass MJ coverage on television.
Frankly, whatever newspaper I open, MJ. Whatever magazine I leaf through, MJ. Whatever TV channel I choose, MJ. I am actually afraid of opening a can of beans these days, let alone a newsgroup.
:emoji_rolling_eyes:

There are lots of gigs to be done, people to see, and thangs to do. Summer fills up a lot of our schedules me thinks. :cool:
Yeah, just landed another unforeseen "help out" gig in early September. Imagine that, a concert band with just one clarinet. (that player has three positions in one: first, solo and only. :cool:)

I think the relatively low number of posts has to do with the maturity of this forum. No myths to perpetuate or bust because we all pretty much know the truth - and, no edgy political stuff that will most certainly offend SOMEONE.

That's why I like it here. DAVE

I'm just back from the road, a week in New Orleans without a computor, gigs pretty much from morning til night everyday. Man it was hot down there.

I learned a lot of history, though. Very interesting place.

Julian

I think the relatively low number of posts has to do with the maturity of this forum. No myths to perpetuate or bust because we all pretty much know the truth - DAVE

That's right Dave.

Everyone here knows that the best (read 5 digit) Mark VIs were made with the artillery shell casings that littered Europe after WWII. :emoji_rage:

All other Mark VIs were junk. All other horns are junk as well. :emoji_smile:

And if anyone believes this, I've got some really great swampland that I'd like to sell you in Florida. ;-)

That's right Dave.

Everyone here knows that the best (read 5 digit) Mark VIs were made with the artillery shell casings that littered Europe after WWII. :emoji_rage:

All other Mark VIs were junk. All other horns are junk as well. :emoji_smile:

And if anyone believes this, I've got some really great swampland that I'd like to sell you in Florida. ;-)
Does it grow french cane?

I'm just back from the road, a week in New Orleans without a computor, gigs pretty much from morning til night everyday. Man it was hot down there.

I learned a lot of history, though. Very interesting place.

Julian

How about the important stuff? Did you eat beignets at the Cafe Du Monde?

The first thing I did when I visited New Orleans for the first time a few years ago, was walk Burgundy (BurGUNdy) Street in the French Quarter from one end to other, and note the intersections mentioned in BURGUNDY STREET BLUES, written and performed by New Orleans' clarinetist George Lewis, with Monette Moore on the vocal. Classic stuff if you are a mouldy fygge like me. DAVE

I'll be in the Big Easy this Friday for the weekend. Should Suzy and I find Café Du Monde?
Oh, yes. It's in the old French Market, near Jackson Square. Just don't wear dark clothing. The beignets are covered with powdered sugar. Great beignets, great cafe au lait, superb people watching. There are often buskers outside and on Jackson Square.

Be careful. "Busking" or street playing is technically illegal, although it happens a lot in New Orleans. A few years back there was some controversy when a street player featured on a poster promoting New Orleans was arrested for street playing.

I haven't been there since the hurricane, but there was a band almost every afternoon at Jackson square, led by a terrific clarinetist -- Darlene, if I remember right. And one night at Maison Bourbon, a trad jazz club in the Quarter, there was a young guy playing the clarinet line -- on a trumpet, and doing it very, very well.

Back
Top Bottom