Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Upgrade Thread

On the other hand - if they ditch support for 3.x in favour of 4.x (which should work), what are you going to lose? If you don't touch it, this old version can't run any worse than a bright shiny new product.

Better stable than leading edge...
Well, here's the thing:

I'm a member of another forum that's using 6-or-so year-old software. There's nothing (well, not enough) compelling in newer software that makes them want to upgrade, even though it'd be free. However, every few months, they get hit with new spambots or some other problem that knocks the forum offline.

Hey, Windows 98 works just fine on my little Toshiba Libretto that I've repurposed as -- solely -- a network jack tester. I wouldn't trust it online, though.

So, as long as there are security updates to the 3.x platform, I can't see a compelling reason to update. Additionally, using the other forum I mentioned as an example, I've not seen a problem with newer SQL or PHP versions (read: server stuff) that required you to update forum software that was already ON the server.

In the past, we had a version of vBulletin that required a yearly fee to work. With that, I could easily see vBulletin saying, "You WILL be upgrading or we're turning your forum off." We now have a different license and we own the vBulletin software, so that's no longer an issue.

I do think vBulletin 4.x has some worthy features, but I don't think they make up for all the problems 4.x has.

Well, here's the thing:I'm a member of another forum that's using 6-or-so year-old software.
Now imagine that - I own a piece of 6-or-so year-old software that uses a forty-six-or-so year-old operator...well I think I simply rest my case. :)

Well, THAT certainly took awhile!

* Full forum backup completed
* Full website backup completed
* Upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin 3 (3.8.7) completed

Elapsed time: appx. 2.5 hours.

Sorry for the delay, folks. It's generally been faster than this. The Intertubes must have been a bit clogged.

If you see any problems, please post in the Forum Problem Reports thread.

===========

On a completely random note, but I'm responding to a couple earlier posts, Windows 7 SP1 came out last month and, contrary to normal thinking, it did not have any new features.

Internet Explorer 9 came out last month, as did updates for Firefox, Chrome and Safari. I do not have IE 9 installed on my "main" computers yet. That means if you have a problem with this forum when running IE 9, I might need a bit more time to research the problem because I'll have to get it installed, first!

There's now a 3.8.7 pl1 available. I'm still on sabbatical, but I'll try to get this installed in the near future. It's a bug fix release.

Long time, no post. In this forum, at least.

You can look in some of the above threads regarding the pain encountered with vBulletin 4. Since my last post, there have been dozens of updates to vBulletin 4, while we've had two or three for vBulletin 3.

I haven't seen too many administrative pop-ups recently for vBulletin 4 -- I get them when I access the Admin page to approve new users 'n' stuff. Today, I found out why: vBulletin 5 is in beta-test stage. You can see a demo of it on the official vBulletin website.

There's a good reason for me to mention this: the version of vBulletin we use, 3.8, has been end-of-life'd.

vBulletin said:
This means that [3.8] will not have further bug-fix release or new functionality added and may not have any future security patches. We will evaluate security issues if they are received.

To me, that means that I've gotta set up a 4.x testing forum again. I might get around to that when I've got a few vacation days next month.

It's next month and then some.

I'm going to probably work on this project this upcoming weekend, because it's a semi-long one for me. Remember: it'll just be some test stuff. We won't be immediately switching.

I seem not to have updated this thread in awhile. I just finished installing the vBulletin 4.2.2pl4 update. RSVP if you see any problems.

Sorry for the lack of notice. This one was going to be done "as time permits" and it permitted today.

I'm going to try to make time to install the vBulletin 4.2.3 update, today, Sunday, October 4. I did a full 'site backup on Wednesday.

Done. If you have any problems, please post in the Problem Reports thread or e-mail/PM me -- today only -- or one of the Admins.

I will be going in to the dr. for a hernia repair operation, tomorrow. I'm assuming I'll be fairly medicated over the next several days.

Done. If you have any problems, please post in the Problem Reports thread or e-mail/PM me -- today only -- or one of the Admins.

I will be going in to the dr. for a hernia repair operation, tomorrow. I'm assuming I'll be fairly medicated over the next several days.

Good luck with that. Hope all goes well.
Tony F.

Thanks, Tony & Jim.

I've been repaired. I feel a lot better than I did after a hernia operation I had appx. 20 years ago. I do have pain meds, but I only needed them last night (so far) and I feel more sore than in pain. I did sleep for 11 hours last night, too. Dr. said I could return to work 3-4 days after the operation, but I've taken the whole week off -- I've gotta use the vacation time, anyway. Follow up appointment on Friday.

Back
Top Bottom