Bassoon Mouthpiece?

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I am looking for a bassoon single reed mouthpiece for some acoustic experiments that I am planning to study the effects of extending the cone of conical woodwind instruments. I have found a new Runyon on line for $55 dollars. Does anyone have a used one they are willing to sell, or can anyone share their experience with using one on bassoon? Thanks.

John

I am looking for a bassoon single reed mouthpiece for some acoustic experiments that I am planning to study the effects of extending the cone of conical woodwind instruments. I have found a new Runyon on line for $55 dollars. Does anyone have a used one they are willing to sell, or can anyone share their experience with using one on bassoon? Thanks.

John
Used are very difficult to find. I think your new one is the way to go.

I think the Runyon is the way to go. I can't recall seeing very many used through the years.

QuinnTheEskimo showed me some for the sarrusophone. The sound was not very good compared to the double reeds but then we aren't double reed players.

Sarrusophones need a big enough piece that an alto sax m/p can be used. You plug the end with a rubber stopper, and drill a hole in the stopper to fit the bocal.

Do not deny their true nature ;)

Hmm... it looked like a soprano sax mouthpiece to me.

I have a bass sarrusophone that came with two mouthpieces. One was a soprano sax mpc with a drilled cork in the tenon end; the other was made from an alto mpc blank, with a hole drilled to fit the bocal, and a chamber apparently carved out with a knife in the approximate shape of the interior of a double reed. The prior owner was a concert bassoonist/contrabassoonist (also tuba!), so I assume that the mpcs were just experiments.

I use a double reed instead of either mpc. :emoji_relaxed:

Sarrusophones need a big enough piece that an alto sax m/p can be used. You plug the end with a rubber stopper, and drill a hole in the stopper to fit the bocal.

Merlin's right. The old Conn contrabass sarrusophone mouthpieces looked like alto sax mouthpieces from the 1920s, and they used standard alto sax reeds

Back
Top Bottom