Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Leblanc EEb (paperclip) CAC

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I purchased a Leblanc EEb contralto (paperclip) clarinet from eBay and had Paul Woltz (superb tech) tweek it. It sure is a lot easier to play than the Leblanc BBb contra bass (paperclip) clarinet. Mostly I appreciate the smaller size. And I can't wait to try it in a clarinet choir.

Here are some pics.

Last edited:
Get them while you can!

Cool! I've always wanted one of those (I have a straight Buescher contra-alto).

Discovered recently that Leblanc is not currently making any contras -- or basses or altos.

Jealous, yet again.

Leblanc has announced that starting next year they're going to break out their low clarinets again now that the move and all that have settled down, and people want the paperclips back, just redesigned a bit.

Looking at the pictures, I'm gonna assume you're a big guy Gandalfe. One problem I've had with bass clarinets, and especially the paperclips, is that the pegs aren't long enough. I saw a tuba player buddy using a stand and asked if I could try it. Works beautifully, sits just higher than most chairs and is adjustable, and much much more stable than a peg. http://www.wwbw.com/DEG-A18-MC100-Handy-Tuba-Rest-450054-i1141872.wwbw

May be something to think about since the pic looks like the clarinet is sitting a foot or so too low

Oh, and I've found that bari reeds tend to work better than the contralto reeds. I use a legere or fibracell bari reed on bass clarinet, and a bass sax reed *legere* on the CAC and BBb

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures, I'm gonna assume you're a big guy Gandalfe. One problem I've had with bass clarinets, and especially the paperclips, is that the pegs aren't long enough. I saw a tuba player buddy using a stand and asked if I could try it. Works beautifully, sits just higher than most chairs and is adjustable, and much much more stable than a peg. http://www.wwbw.com/DEG-A18-MC100-Handy-Tuba-Rest-450054-i1141872.wwbw
http://www.hochstrasser.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/Clarinet/BassRest :cool:

Leblanc has announced that starting next year they're going to break out their low clarinets again now that the move and all that have settled down, and people want the paperclips back, just redesigned a bit.
Do you know when Leblanc plans to start making them again? I'm considering a (Bb) contrabass clarinet, and had the chance to try a few. I plan to try again more seriously the Selmer, Eppelsheim and Ripamonti, but if I can try a Leblanc too it would be better.

I'm happy with my BBb paperclip to low C. Play it in wind ensemble, and for the most part can get all of the bass clarinet stuff. Altissimo gets a little woogity above the E, so you're limited to in staff stuff, but it's got much more power and depth thru the rest of it than most bass clarinets.

I think the plans are for a student bass to come out next spring then in the fall the pro bass will come out then 2011 will be the paperclips. That was eta. That being said, if you can afford it, buy the Eppelsheim... 'nuff said.

I was able to get mine for under $1k because it was beat to hell. Almost no pads, bunch of bent keys, lots of dents in the bottom bow. Kicker was aside from the dents the metal looked great. So I paid to have all the dents taken out, then did the overhaul myself. Took a LOT of hours because the thing is a PIA to regulate, but it was worth it. If I have a bass clarinet gig that I can use that on I will. Looks pretty nice now, and plays amazing.

May be something to think about since the pic looks like the clarinet is sitting a foot or so too low.
Both very interesting ideas.
Did you paint it black Ben?

I think the plans are for a student bass to come out next spring then in the fall the pro bass will come out then 2011 will be the paperclips. That was eta. That being said, if you can afford it, buy the Eppelsheim... 'nuff said.
OK thanks. If I'm still looking by then I'll remmeber the Leblanc to try too. By the way I know the Eppelsheim is great. However the one that played the best for me was the Ripamonti. The problem was I didn't comapre them with the same mouthpiece and that was probably the reason. I will use the same mouthpiece next time and will be able to judge better.

Did you paint it black Ben?
Nope. Before I was forced to do it, another Bundy (this time with peg) emerged from the nether regions of competitive bidding and I was using that bell until I figured out that Ferree's had complete peg assemblies for a ridiculous price.

So the car jack just changed basements - it's now in the band cellar. :)

Nope. Before I was forced to do it, another Bundy (this time with peg) emerged from the nether regions of competitive bidding and I was using that bell until I figured out that Ferree's had complete peg assemblies for a ridiculous price.

So the car jack just changed basements - it's now in the band cellar. :)
Link please. I'd like to see their peg assemblies and price, if possible.

Here is some of the key take aways from my first month with the Leblanc Paris (paperclip) CAC:
  • Start here on Wikipedia for general overview.
  • This article calls them CBCs in Eb (aka EEb) but is still very interesting.
  • Music Oldtimer has excellent pictures.
My findings:
1. I chose the vintage paperclip over the straights mostly because of the form factor and resulting smaller case. The Leblanc EEb contra alto clarinet just fits so nicely and I sit the peg on my chair between my legs.

2. Mine goes down to low C but the fingering is arcane. Still being able to play lower is always good in my book.

3. The vintage straight Leblanc CAC I tried had a lot of stuffy notes which I'm sure my fav tech, Paul Woltz could have fixed rather handily. As it was he did tweak the keyworks for the low C (two right thumb keys) keyworks.

4. The paperclip was in much better condition visually than the other vintage one. The new one was too expensive compared to the paperclip.

5. The Walter Grabner CAC mouthpiece allows me to voice the instrument immediately whereas the Leblanc one would have taken me some time to make work. Make sure you specify Leblanc as the Selmer mouthpiece has a smaller diameter.

Here is some of the key take aways from my first month with the Leblanc Paris (paperclip) CAC:
  • Start here on Wikipedia for general overview.
  • This article calls them CBCs in Eb (aka EEb) but is still very interesting.
  • Music Oldtimer has excellent pictures.
My findings:
1. I chose the vintage paperclip over the straights mostly because of the form factor and resulting smaller case. The Leblanc EEb contra alto clarinet just fits so nicely and I sit the peg on my chair between my legs.​
2. Mine goes down to low C but the fingering is arcane. Still being able to play lower is always good in my book.​
3. The vintage straight Leblanc CAC I tried had a lot of stuffy notes which I'm sure my fav tech, Paul Woltz could have fixed rather handily. As it was he did tweak the keyworks for the low C (two right thumb keys) keyworks.​
4. The paperclip was in much better condition visually than the other vintage one. The new one was too expensive compared to the paperclip.​
5. The Walter Grabner CAC mouthpiece allows me to voice the instrument immediately whereas the Leblanc one would have taken me some time to make work. Make sure you specify Leblanc as the Selmer mouthpiece has a smaller diameter.​
What number is yours as in like the number on the neck body and bell. Mine is number 122 so a early boy.

Back
Top Bottom