Twelfth Night doubling log

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I'm booked to play Twelfth Night at the Stratford Festival this season. It's a big production, directed by Des McAnuff (Tommy, Jersey Boys, Zhivago, Big River), and starring Brian Dennehy as Sir Toby Belch.

My bare minimum as stated when I was booked was guitar and saxophone. It's likely to become quite a collection of stuff, so I thought I'd try and make regular updates here.

Acoustic guitar, alto sax and electric bass is the collection so far.

Likely additions are drums, flute, other saxes, other guitars.

I'll keep you all abreast of the developments.

What'd you get? I'm in the hunt for a new 5er.

About ten years ago I got a five-string bass and really didn't like the quality of the 6th or biggest string. It was a rather nice Yamaha and my son has it now. But I wanted to mention that I a couple of years ago I found a really nice Peavey Millennium (4-string) at a pawn shop for $50. I mean, it was/is like new.

Seattle is a big town, so correspondingly you might want to search pawn shops in Minneapolis/St. Paul. So don't forget to consider that option. Good luck on your search.

What'd you get? I'm in the hunt for a new 5er.

It's a Squier Active Jazz V. I was told I could use any bass I wanted, but the colour was subject to approval. Black and blue were desired. My bass is solid black. I'll get a pic of it up soon.

The new Squiers are supposed to be quite good. Not good for the money, just plain good. If the store I work for gets Fender (deal in the works - slowly), I may have to try out a few of them.

Just grabbed an acoustic, and am building myself an electric 5 for grins.

We were working on one of the musical numbers today, and I suggested to the composer that alto flute would work well for playing the underscoring onstage. So - there's an alto flute double now.

I've been looking for a good excuse to get my own alto flute. In the past four years, I've done several gigs on it, but always rented since they were short term things. This show runs 'til November, so having my own is the best choice.

Picked up a Jupiter 500 series alto. Anything else would have been overkill for the situation. Got a nice deal on it too.

Also picked up a B-Band A3T pickup for the steel string acoustic. I know I'm going to need a pickup in that guitar, so I best get it done now.

We worked on more of the backing vocals and dance parts today too. I also got to see Brian Dennehy rehearsing a scene. Great actor!

OK, drums officially added today as a double.

Still have to find out whether they are paying a double for acoustic versus electric guitars.

Alto sax, alto flute, bass, guitar, drums is where it stands right now.

The recording sessions for click track parts and underscore are getting set. I'll probably be playing a lot of extra horns on these. Pay works differently for them though.

So you are playing with a headset on?

In ear monitors.

I went for a wig fitting this week, and the designer liked the look so much I'll be wearing it throughout the show. Saw the boots they have for me - calf high Doc Martens.

It's a Squier Active Jazz V. I was told I could use any bass I wanted, but the colour was subject to approval. Black and blue were desired. My bass is solid black. I'll get a pic of it up soon.
Promises, promises. ;)

Maybe one with the bass and you in the Doc Marten boots? Your stash of instruments for this gig must look impressive!

Just got the electric 12 I'll be using onstage. It's a Rickenbacker - the quintessential electric 12, but the action sucks.

Totalled up what I'm playing on the recording sessions this week:

flute
Alto flute
Clarinets in A and Bb
Contra alto clarinet
Alto sax
Tenor sax
Bari sax
Steel string acoustic guitar
Nylon string acoustic guitar
Electric 6 string
Electric 12 string
5 string electric bass

Oh....and possibly mandolin as well!

Just got the electric 12 I'll be using onstage. It's a Rickenbacker - the quintessential electric 12, but the action sucks.
Got someone to do a setup for you?

Got someone to do a setup for you?

I usually do my own setups, but this guitar is owned by the director. I dropped the bridge height, which is fine for now. There's too much relief in the neck, but Rics have a weird double truss rod. I'll adjust the truss rods on my guitars, but not on someone else's.

I usually do my own setups, but this guitar is owned by the director. I dropped the bridge height, which is fine for now. There's too much relief in the neck, but Rics have a weird double truss rod. I'll adjust the truss rods on my guitars, but not on someone else's.
Is the director aware of how "off" it is, or is it his preference? Some guys buy the good toys, but don't know when to have them properly set up or that it is even possible that it came from the factory in less than wonderful condition.

Is the director aware of how "off" it is, or is it his preference? Some guys buy the good toys, but don't know when to have them properly set up or that it is even possible that it came from the factory in less than wonderful condition.

He'd know if he had time to play right now. Too busy with a show to direct.

Did the first of the recording sessions today. Played flute, clarinets in A & Bb, contra alto clarinet, alto/tenor/bari sax, classical guitar and electric bass.

12 hour session...

Another long day today.

Eight hour rehearsal, then a couple of hours on the deck doing wireless guitar and bass tests, as well as vocal checks.

The guitar signals are going to rackmount processors below the stage. They're Digitech units that have various amp and cabinet models to choose from. Got sounds happening for my six string electric, the Rickenbacker 12 string and my bass.

There's another recording session on Monday; likely a marathon like yesterday's. There'll probably be another one in mid-June for the bows and playout music.

Did a rough calculation of the hourly for recordings...we go into overtime after two 3 hour sessions.

It may be time to treat myself.

Back
Top Bottom