Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Bobby Dukoff

It's interesting, but Bobby Dukoff appears to have been a man who tried to stay in the background, while letting his mouthpieces speak for themselves. While researching Dukoff himself, I found very little about the man, and no interviews. I'm wondering if he gave them at all? Perhaps not.

In any event, it's like I wrote in my blog article, the saxophone world lost a giant with the passing of Bobby Dukoff last week.

I knew Bobby for 40 years. I visited his factory. I visited his home. At times his factory was partially in the back porch of his home. He never turned me away, and he put up with my lame modifications to his mouthpieces. One day we messed around trying to get his Cadillac DeVille to achieve 20 miles per gallon by using water injection. He told me, "I can do it with the air conditioning off, but I've got to have air!" He was right. South Florida, you know...

Bobby played lots of tenors. I have one of his King Super-20 tenors, in mint condition. I have so many Kings, I was thinking about selling it. Now I'm not sure...

Back
Top Bottom