Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Gil Evans Project

Merlin

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I'm doing a concert in October with the Humber College Faculty/Alumni Big Band. Guest arranger Ryan Truesdell is with us and we're doing music from this:

http://www.gilevansproject.com/

As you may have guessed, I'm playing a crazy amount of doubles: clarinet/bass clarinet/baritone sax/bassoon/flute/piccolo/BASS FLUTE!

Own everything except the Bass flute, but I can rent one relatively easy around here.

I'd bet if Gil had been exposed to bass sax a little more, we would have great stuff written by him for the big sax. When I was playing with Jaco, he asked for a contribution from Gil for Jaco's upcoming Japan tour and album (1982), and Gil sent a chart for free, unless I'm terribly misinformed.
A little more grease from the money people might result in some great music. Some of the big names are working on a shoestring budget. They're not asking for much.

Why this love of the bass flute but no bass sax requirement? Strange if'n you ask me.

I'm fine with that. The bass would move things into a two trip load-in. Also, my bass is being used by a section mate for Pirates of Penzance, so taking it with would be a big hassle.

Back
Top Bottom