Moeck 229 soprano maintenance

Good evening everyone,

I just found this forum as I was looking for some advice for my Moeck 229, which I inherited.
Please take a look at the pictures, as I have been trying to clean the black line in the keyholes. What could that be, and how do I best clean it? I tried soapy water on a tooth brush, as well as some rubbing alcohol added to it.. Does not come off...

Please advice!

Thanks!

Chris

2013-10-03 19.41.49.jpg2013-10-03 19.42.24.jpg

I just found this forum as I was looking for some advice for my Moeck 229, which I inherited.
Please take a look at the pictures, as I have been trying to clean the black line in the keyholes. What could that be, and how do I best clean it? I tried soapy water on a tooth brush, as well as some rubbing alcohol added to it.. Does not come off...

I am going to put a disclaimer on my response: I am not an expert. But I hate seeing your post go without a reply (especially when I can't stand the recent yahoogroups revamp (when I could hardly stand using yahoogroups before (which is where the most active online recorder discussions are))).

That said, it is looking fungal to me. Could be that the previous owner had sweaty hands, and left the tone holes damp too often? Bernolin suggests bleach.

http://www.bernolin.fr/english/maintenance.htm#Mould

If it was a more expensive model, I think I'd send it off to the maker, but that could end up costing more than the value of this recorder. I think I'd try some bleach on a q-tip in those tone holes, and see if there is any effect. If that didn't work, but it wasn't growing, I think I'd live with it, as any kind of scraping could change the tuning of the instrument.

Thanks for your reply.

I just used some bleach and surely the black vanished. I then used some Listerine mix to get rid of the smell and taste. I am grateful you took the time to reply to my inquiry.

Chris

Did the bleach discolor the instrument?

No it did not. After the bleach, I "flushed" with Listerine. I also took the block out carefully, and cleaned some mold in the mouthpiece. This recorder sounds now much better!

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom