Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

V. Kohlert Sons fife piccolo or flute?

What is this called? A 11 hole five key Fife or a piccolo? Got it off eBay while everyone was playing their X Box; for one dollar.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 0000.jpg
    0000.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 319
The answer is, essentially, "It depends on who you talk to."

Wikipedia: A fife is a small, high-pitched, transverse flute, that is similar to the piccolo, but louder and shriller due to its narrower bore.
Chiff & Fipple: My impression is that fifes are meant / designed to be played mostly in the 2nd and 3rd octaves, and have a weak 1st octave. While piccolos have a robust 1st octave and are played mostly in the 1st and 2nd, with the 3rd octave as an extended range, much like a whistle or flute.

More resultage.

Considering the similarity of your horn to what I see online, I'd call it a fife. If you have someone with a modern piccolo, you could compare bore sizes.

I'd definitely buy one of those for $1. Nice find!

Thanks Pete; not finding any fifes made by V. Kohlert Sons and only found a three piece piccolo made by them online at a South Dakota Music museum. "It depends on who you talk to" seems logical. Would explain why the item keeps having different names. The ones I see online have huge cracks, pads missing, keys bent, parts gone, not marked by makers and 25 bids first day listed. This item was 0 bids, 0 watchers, 30 seconds left after seven days, seller guaranteed no cracks, great shape and his other items did not look like a music store after a hurricane. Starting a collection for my step grand daughter and was starting to think the further the musical instrument was dragged down a dirt road by the sellers pickup truck the more valuable it becomes.

Back
Top Bottom