StaffPad (Windows Software)

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Probably like most of the folks that have Windows 8 and 8.1, I have an icon in my Start menu that displays random stuff from the Microsoft store. StaffPad was the thing that was displayed today.

StaffPad is a score-making software that does handwriting recognition for musical notation. You draw a note, it converts it into something that other folks could actually read.

There are a couple video examples of the product in use at the above linked website. It looks pretty darn kewl. A few caveats, though:

* You need a Windows 8.1 tablet and a digitizer pen. They recommend a Microsoft Surface. I wonder if it would work with a Surface that runs Windows RT ....
* Some time signatures aren't supported. The more esoteric ones: 1/4, 2/8, and 5+6/8 were the ones a reviewer mentioned.

I've mentioned before that the music notation software I've used is Finale and MOTU's Composer. My opinion is that it's probable that if you do direct note entry by playing on a MIDI device (say, a keyboard or wind controller), you'd have faster input. I don't know if it'd be more accurate, though. Also, if you do note input using a computer keyboard and a synth keyboard, you can do completely accurate note entry extremely fast -- but adding dynamics was always a pain. StaffPad looks like it can handle dynamics really, really well.

I'd love a review copy and appropriate hardware to try it on.

This website says that you can get it for $50. It's listed for $70 in the Microsoft store. A used Surface Pro 2 starts around $315. A Surface Pro pen is around $40.

So love this, almost enough just to get Pete a Microsoft Surface. Maybe for Christmas?
FTFY.

FWIW, a company associated with the company I work for has decided to get rid of all their current laptops and get everyone Surface 3 Pro tablets, with dock and pen -- and they're doing the high-end Surface. That's about $2000 of kit. And the Surface 4 is supposed to be out between now and October. So, I've gotten to play with the Surface 3 at length. It's a lot more useful than the original Surface and they now have keyboards that actually go "click," but it's still really hard for me to justify the $2000. It's only a 12" display, after all, and a 1.7ghz i5 processor. My three year old desktop blows that away and I paid $700 for parts. But, as far as "convertible" tablets, I think it's probably the best Windows 8.1 one out there.

Back
Top Bottom