Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Montreux clarinet?

Aulos303

_•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____|
Banned :(
I saw one of these in cash converters today going for £69.99, but I've not heard the name before. The instrument itself looked to have dirty key work, I'm assuming it's coated brass and the coating has worn off. Also the 'silver ' on the bell looked similar. The pads, what I could see, were white.

It *may* be a Rauber (aka Selmer Montreux) instrument, or it simply may be a phantasy name as often used by importers.

+1 on TTT. Here's the CSO on Amazon.

Considering it sounds like you're talking about a metal clarinet, I lean a bit more toward the Selmer Montreux, especially as the author of the thread I linked to specifically said "chromed." That's not too common with metal clarinets.

Pics would be interesting.

The 'silver' on the bell looked rusty to me, which seemed odd

+1 on TTT. Here's the CSO on Amazon.

Considering it sounds like you're talking about a metal clarinet, I lean a bit more toward the Selmer Montreux, especially as the author of the thread I linked to specifically said "chromed." That's not too common with metal clarinets.

Pics would be interesting.

That doesn't look like a clarinet, its looks brass, like a straight sax. This one I saw was like a regular clarinet, black with 'silver' parts

Actually the one on Amazon looks like it ,(except its new so in good nick) but the one in the other link looked all metal

If it's not all metal, it's probably one of those Clarinet Shaped Objects. I'd skip it.

If it's not all metal, it's probably one of those Clarinet Shaped Objects. I'd skip it.

You mean the key work? The body itself could be plastic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks Chris. Cash Converters had a B&H clarinet in a few months ago for £60 but I didn't know whether it was a decent make.

Oh "Cash Converters" is a 2nd hand/resell company.
I was clueless on what it was so I skipped the thread.

There were some nickle/silver plated brass metal clarinets out there.
But since you know it, can you provide a link ?

Can't provide a link because it was seen while in the town. Probably sold now

Its still there (along with an Elkhart alto sax for 260)

PicsArt_09-13-01.39.09.jpg

Its still there (along with an Elkhart alto sax for 260)

View attachment 3023
It kinda looks like a rubber clarinet.

It all comes down to if you want it or not. It's not a name brand or anything and nowadays the "unknown" high quality gear has been identified.

It kinda looks like a rubber clarinet.

It all comes down to if you want it or not. It's not a name brand or anything and nowadays the "unknown" high quality gear has been identified.

Rubber?? You mean ABS plastic?
As for whether I want it. Well I did at first but it could cost overy £100 to get it playing. Plus I've not long got myself a tenor recorder. My partner says no...;)

No, "rubber" means "rubber." There are and were a bunch of clarinets that were made out of hard rubber. I'm pretty sure that Terry would also point out that rubber could be considered a plastic, but not ABS.

Well ABS is a resin but I've also heard it called a hard rubber. I read somewhere that 'Aulos recorders are made of ABS which is a hard rubber' or something like that.

You want to run away from that specific instrument anyway. It screams "CSO" all over the place.
You'd be better off with a $30 Bundy or Vito off the Auction Sites. (hint: as you're in the UK, look for B&H 400 or Corton clarinets - they're Amatis, from the 70s, and they have really good wood and are built like tanks. I have refurbished a number of them and they're miles ahead of what you found here)
And besides, not every repair person will handle instruments such as that one as they all too often and all too easy get out of adjustment which is a PITA for both the player and the repairer.

You want to run away from that specific instrument anyway. It screams "CSO" all over the place.
You'd be better off with a $30 Bundy or Vito off the Auction Sites. (hint: as you're in the UK, look for B&H 400 or Corton clarinets - they're Amatis, from the 70s, and they have really good wood and are built like tanks. I have refurbished a number of them and they're miles ahead of what you found here)
And besides, not every repair person will handle instruments such as that one as they all too often and all too easy get out of adjustment which is a PITA for both the player and the repairer.

Thanks Ben. Now what is CSO?

Back
Top Bottom