Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Gear4Music instruments?

Aulos303

_•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____|
Banned :(
I've noticed quite a few of these instruments (clarinet,sax) and to a total newbie I am unable to tell if they are actually any good. Who makes them?
Compared to the big names they are incredibly cheap but a beginner wouldn't want to (or in my case be able to) spend thousands on a good instrument. In fact the £500 bar is too high for me.
And Ive been informed it's not a good idea to buy used because you might end up spending a lot on refurbishment.

The best way to determine this for yourself is to play the instrument yourself. If you are a beginner bring a teacher or friend to try the instrument. Most musicians who try a new, cheaply made instrument and quality pro used instrument of the same price will choose to purchase the used pro instrument. That should tell you a lot.

The best way to determine this for yourself is to play the instrument yourself. If you are a beginner bring a teacher or friend to try the instrument. Most musicians who try a new, cheaply made instrument and quality pro used instrument of the same price will choose to purchase the used pro instrument. That should tell you a lot.

I'm a long way off being in the position to buy one, and I woukd have to go on my own, no teacher for me. But I was wondering who makes them and has Gear4Music put their shop logo on them? Ive only seen them online. We have a music shop in town that has saxes and clarinets, way too pricey for me tho.

I'm a long way off being in the position to buy one, and I woukd have to go on my own, no teacher for me. But I was wondering who makes them and has Gear4Music put their shop logo on them? Ive only seen them online. We have a music shop in town that has saxes and clarinets, way too pricey for me tho.
Picking a new hobby can be very expensive. I have long recommended that adults who played in high school would have the best luck returning to an instrument. Used saxes and clarinets can be found and saving up for them is the way to go. Anyway, that's the way I did it. YMMV.

Looking at the price of the bottom-line Gear4Music instruments, I'd be shocked if they're not Chinese-made.

I've mentioned a couple times, since I saw it first posted, that our forum sponsor, Quinn, has a bunch of new Buffet B18 clarinets for $299. Get yourself a better mouthpiece than what comes with that student Buffet and I think that's the least expensive set-up that you can get. You don't want to throw money at a bad horn. You'll just get frustrated and give up playing.

The Gear4Music bass saxophones are sh*e. They ones that I know about were made by Jinyin, and had nothing but problems. A reader of my site bought one through a retailer--yes some retailers in the UK sell them the brand in their stores--and ended up having to bring it to her tech for a once over. It wasn't worth the repair. She returned it to the shop in another part of the UK via the post, and got her money back b/c the horn was not at all as advertised.

Now, not all Gear4Music horns may be done by Jinyin, but from what I have heard, yes, they are Chinese made horns. (And not even good ones at that.)

Looking at the price of the bottom-line Gear4Music instruments, I'd be shocked if they're not Chinese-made.

I've mentioned a couple times, since I saw it first posted, that our forum sponsor, Quinn, has a bunch of new Buffet B18 clarinets for $299. Get yourself a better mouthpiece than what comes with that student Buffet and I think that's the least expensive set-up that you can get. You don't want to throw money at a bad horn. You'll just get frustrated and give up playing.

Interestingly enough, the clarinet I wold get if I had the money was a Buffet. The B12. Way out of my price league but I do believe it's better to buy quality than skimp. And I certainly wouldn't buy an instrument from ebay.

Interestingly enough, the clarinet I wold get if I had the money was a Buffet. The B12. Way out of my price league but I do believe it's better to buy quality than skimp. And I certainly wouldn't buy an instrument from ebay.

I belive if you ask Quinn can sell you it away from ebay.

I belive if you ask Quinn can sell you it away from ebay.

I dont have the finances at the moment (unemployed ) plus I'm in England

I'm not sure what your objection is to EBay. I've bought literally scores of instruments from EBay sellers and I can only recall 1 dud. That was my own fault because I assumed something without checking. Certainly some needed work, but if the purchase price is right then even after the necessary work is done you'll still have a good instrument for a good price. Likewise your objection to buying a used instrument. At the prices that good intermediate/professional quality instruments go for on EBay, for a relatively modest price you can end up with an instrument that you couldn't afford at new prices. The Buffet B12 probably isn't the best choice of student-level instruments, the student-level Yamahas and the Leblanc Vito play and tune better. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you buy.

I'm not sure what your objection is to EBay. I've bought literally scores of instruments from EBay sellers and I can only recall 1 dud. That was my own fault because I assumed something without checking. Certainly some needed work, but if the purchase price is right then even after the necessary work is done you'll still have a good instrument for a good price. Likewise your objection to buying a used instrument. At the prices that good intermediate/professional quality instruments go for on EBay, for a relatively modest price you can end up with an instrument that you couldn't afford at new prices. The Buffet B12 probably isn't the best choice of student-level instruments, the student-level Yamahas and the Leblanc Vito play and tune better. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you buy.

I dont have an objection to ebay per se-I bought my DSLR from there and other things. But for musical instruments I would rather see it in person (except for my tenor recorder which I bought from Amazon. Wish I'd waited tho)

Back
Top Bottom