Text books on saxophone playing

Hello,

I'm compiling a list with text books on saxophone playing. No Étude books, but books describing saxophone playing technique.
So far, I've come up with the list below. Any additions?

Thank you!

1. A Complete Approach to Sound for the Modern Saxophonist - Ben Britton
  2. Art of Saxophone Playing - Larry Teal
  3. Developing a personal saxophone sound - David Liebman
  4. Extended technique for the saxophone - J. Michael Leonard
  5. Findings - Steve Lacey
  6. Hello! Mr. Sax - Jean-Marie Londeix
  7. How to Play Saxophone: Everything You Need to Know to Play the Saxophone - John Robert Brown
  8. Le saxophone - Marcel Perrin
  9. Playing the saxophone - Rob Buckland
  10. Practical Hints on Playing the Alto Saxophone - Eugene Rousseau
  11. Practical Hints on Playing the Tenor Saxophone - Eugene Rousseau
  12. Saxologie: Thèse 595 p.+CD. Pour les 7 sax: modes de jeu - Daniel Kientzy
  13. Saxophon-Sound (Grundlagen und Spezialeffekte für alle Saxophone) - Schott music
  14. Saxophone - Paul Harvey
  15. Saxophone Altissimo : High Note Development for the Contemporary Player - Robert Luckey
  16. Saxophone Artistry in Performance and Pedagogy - Eugene Rousseau
  17. Saxophone for dummies
  18. Saxophone High Tones: A Systematic Approach to the Extension of the Range of All the Saxophones: Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Baritone - Eugene Rousseau
  19. Saxophone Secrets: 60 Performance Strategies for the Advanced Saxophonist - Tracy Heavner
  20. Saxophone Sound Effects - Ueli Dorig
  21. Saxophone Technique - Ken Dorn
  22. Teachers guide to the saxophone - Frederick Hemke
  23. Techniques of Saxophone Playing - Marcus Weiss/Giorgio Netti
  24. The basis of saxophone tone production: A critical and analytical study - Cecil Leeson
  25. The Cambridge Companion to the Saxophone - Richard Ingham
  26. The Rough Guide to the Saxophone: The Essential Tipbook - Guide Rough
  27. The Saxophone Handbook: A Complete Guide to Tone, Technique, Performance - Douglas Skinner
  28. The Saxophone Reed: The Advanced Art of Adjusting Single Reeds - Ray Reed
  29. Tipboek saxofoon - Hugo Pinksterboer
  30. Top Tones - Sigurd Rascher
  31. Universal method for the saxophone - Paul de Ville
  32. Voicing - Donald Sinta

Fantastic! I have played and taught saxophone for over 50 years, and many of those resources are new to me. Players may argue over which methods are the best, but a comprehensive list like this is impressive and highly useful. Now all you need to do is study each of those books and methods and write a concise summary of each one. A doctoral thesis, perhaps? :)

Or, something I've done with instrument research: make a list of all the ones that teach a technique in the same way and contrast with the ones that tech the same technique in a different way. Bonus points for being able to articulate why they disagree in teaching technique. That'd be more of a doctoral thesis. I'm not sure the doctorate would be in saxophone or in data analysis, tho.

A few good ones for the rockers in the crowd:
Rock & Roll Saxophone and Contemporary Saxophone - both by John Laughter
25 Great Sax Solos by Eric J. Morones - while some might consider this an Étude or transcription book, it does have a profile about each artist, a "how to play it" section, as well as special tips for each one.

Also, the Bergonzi books are sort of a hybrid of instruction and exercises, although I suppose you could make the argument that they are more focused on improvisation as opposed to technique.

Back
Top Bottom