Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

FS: Rare Reiffel & Husted Slide Sax

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Here is a RARE Reiffel & Husted SLIDE SAXOPHONE! WOW! A soprano sax, this instrument features a slide that opens holes along its length rather than the traditional key work. Already in excellent condition, it has just had a FULL REPAD by Brad Wherry. It has 2 actual pads in the octave and register keys, and he replaced both of them. It has been lubed and is ready to play. You may never see another one! Pics tell the rest of the story!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reiffel-Hus...504443?hash=item4d513e133b:g:Es0AAOSw9GhYZMfO

SlideSax.jpg

Yup. Paul (PM Woodwind) does get an awful lot of interesting horns. According to Archive.org, that horn sold prior to Feb. 2015.

I'm interested in seeing what Quinn's will sell for. It's been a bit of time since I've seen one of these sold.

One of these I really do so much want to get... Sigh... It is in very lovely condition....

Timing rather sucks for me ATM however... Beginning of the year is when all the big bills are due... Car insurances, as well as house insurance.

And you got one of those AE or AJ Sax horns, right? itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_044.gif

That's the other thing.... I haven't tried the Sax horn yet. Having said that, if I could get either, I would get the slider... But... The Reiffel & Husted is in US $, which means I need to add another 30% (approx) to the final cost. That's a fair amount of coin for an unusual horn that will see very little playing time.

Talk about a pitch approximator! And it's a soprano. That's a double whammy.

And apparently it's fricken hard to play! When I showed it to Suzy she said, "No!" What? ;)

Yup, what you said. But then I've played trombone, so I'm used to things sliding... Only thing is, this slide is so much shorter. :eek:

For me, if I already had the requisite pro horns I'd be likely to play at a gig, the horn I'd want would be something from AJ Sax, preferably a baritone. While I think the visual impact of the slide sax is definitely something to consider, I don't see using one for much of anything. Covering a trombone part would be cool 'n' stuff, but the R&H is a soprano, not a baritone.

Anyhow, quick look on YouTube shows us a video of our own Groovekiller playing an R&H.

...While I think the visual impact of the slide sax is definitely something to consider, I don't see using one for much of anything. ..

Besides the look, what is interesting about them is the effects you can achieve. They're like the trombones from hell--b/c they have reeds--for Smurfs. :cool:
smurf trombone.jpg

...While I think the visual impact of the slide sax is definitely something to consider, I don't see using one for much of anything. ..

Besides the look, what is interesting about them is the effects you can achieve. They're like the trombones from hell--b/c they have reeds--for Smurfs. :cool:
View attachment 8811
I do get that, but I think that a lot of players can achieve a lot of that kind of pitch bending by ... pitch bending. Even with trombone, you're not supposed to be "glissing" from one note to the other, unless the music specifically calls for it.

I have one of these slide saxophones. I bought it from Helen, who is a member of this group. It had been badly damaged and the slide didn't work, and the slide was an important (!) part of the horn. After a lot of work, it worked! after a lot of practice, I could just play a melody. It was like switching to violin or something else I had never played. It became one of the most popular instruments that I often demonstrate during presentations about saxophone history. Here is a rough Youtube video, recorded when I didn't know the camera was on.

Anyhow, quick look on YouTube shows us a video of our own Groovekiller playing an R&H.
And people complain that I don't read the entire thread
itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_044.gif

So, how did it play?

EDIT: I should expand on that. I know you said it was like switching to a violin, etc., but how similar to a soprano was it? Major embochure change?

Last edited:
The story of Randy's slide sax is interesting. Someone contacted me about it. It had been hanging on their wall for years, and had been in the family since new. IIRC, this fellow's grandfather had bought and played it back in the day.

Fast forward to present day, and the fellow contacted me to get a rough valuation for it. He was hoping I would buy it, but since it was so badly damaged, I really couldn't see myself going down the road ATT. Either I or Pete had been in touch with Randy about the horn, and he ended up buying it. What's really cool about Randy's slider is that Randy is likely only the 2nd player to ever play it.

One day when Randy decides he's had enough of the little slider, maybe I will be able to make it sing as nicely as he can... But probably not. I'm not nearly as gifted as he is musically. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom