Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Some very nice photos of a pair of Sarrusophones that I saw from QuinnTheEskimo...

TrueTone

College Student who likes wind instruments & music
So I occasionally log onto facebook as our clarinet professor has a facebook group for our clarinet studio that she sometimes sends things to, and I happened to see these while checking on it:
Some very nice photos of a Conn Eb Contra and a Buffet Bb Bass, with yet more sarruses in the comments, including an Eppelsheim...

The Buffet's also on ebay, too-for the price of almost $10K obo.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evette-and...133382?hash=item3d5a7cccc6:g:Xv8AAOSwWY5ajgeU
I'd rather like to see the mouthpiece he has for the Bass, though...

edit: oh hey that facebook link embedded itself, I didn't know we had some links that would do that other than from youtube.

Yah. It's supposed to embed from about a hundred different sources. It's an interesting plugin. Unfortunately, I can't see it. I'll have to play around with my various plugins in Google Chrome.

I can see it now, but thanks for posting the link, Gandalfe.

I made a comment on the Facebook page mentioning that Conn's Sarrusophone construction probably stopped in 1941, with a bit more than 300 built (I've got a sn 303 in my gallery). I wanted to expand on that a little.

It's very possible that the Sarrusophones that have pearl keywork were produced, well, just about anytime. Conn used a different set of serial numbers an a letter for each instrument. So, if you had a professional saxophone, the serial number would be in the form of, "M123,456." The Sarrusophone serial numbers are in the form of "V123."

A few years back, I found a Buescher bass that was produced in the 1960s, IIRC, and had a 1960s serial number. There were some minor differences in keywork, but the horn was essentially a 1920s True Tone. Obviously a special order item. Now, the one thing that separates the really high serial number Sarrusophones and lower serial number ones is the pearl keywork. So, it makes me wonder (heh) if those high serial number horns are all much later custom models. It'd be interesting if the pearl-keyed ones have an automatic octave key or some other mechanical difference, too.

Anyhow, I did say that the silver Conn from Quinn was one of the two prettiest I've seen. The other one is a gold-plated Artist model (finish 00).

While I wish Quinn luck, I don't think he's going to get $10K for that Bb bass Sarrusophone. It is rare, in both the sense of quite uncommon and valuable, but he's sold a ton of Eb contras for a lot less. However, I've played a grand total of one bass sax. Maybe a Bb bass Sarrusophone would be a better buy.

Back
Top Bottom