Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. Contra-alto Altissimo

Hi Mande, I have a selmer contra and it pops into altissimo E no probs, for me if notes can be achieved by working up or down a scale and not by simply playing then the instrument has leaks, find a local repairer and get them to look at it.
  2. New Chinese Instruments

I like the statement Our clarinets are made of the ebony wood. they have been processed in special ways to make it easier to play on than a metal clarinets. Mmmm,
  3. Regulation, Key Heights, and Lost Motion

I had a discussion at the pub a while back with Curt, regarding his methods. Over way to many of a beer from what I remember it was very informative. The two listed above are only some of the processes he uses, he also uses bore liners, relocates octave vents, expands sections of the necks...
  4. Regulation, Key Heights, and Lost Motion

I would concur. Whilst under the fingers a level "typrewriter setup" feels smooth, it really IMO affects the tone. To regulate the lower stack to the same clearance as the upper stack muffles quite considerably the sound. Selmers I find particularly bad for intonation on the lower stack, if...
  5. So you wanna be a repair tech

You would be surprised just how easy a bassoon is Steve, it's easier than a clarinet, and they actually play better with some leaks. The fear with most is the lack of exposure to a specific instrument, the unknown IMO the hardest instrument to repair well is a flute. Any leaks and it won't...
  6. So you wanna be a repair tech

It appears confusion is arising again. It is not my inference that any person with a mechanical background can repair a musical instrument, it is my inference that any person with a mechanical background and a passion to do the job can and will do well without needing to do a course. It is...
  7. So you wanna be a repair tech

Agreed, you need to be able to play an instrument to be able to repair it, the only exception clause would be if you had someone that could test play it for you and articulate well what problems they were having or finding Gandalfe, you nailed my point, if you come from a mechanical...
  8. So you wanna be a repair tech

Gandalfe, so people cannot mis-construe what my comments mean. This is difficult in nature in a mechanical sense, a sax is not, this is why the average person with some mechanical capability can do sax repairs from home with simple tools. To repair these you would have to do a...
  9. So you wanna be a repair tech

First of all instrument repairs fall in the category of very simplistic mechanical repairs. A trade school is good if you have no background in mechanical work, example a friend of mine here in Australia, was a lawyer by trade for 30 yrs, he had no real background in mechanics, he flew to...
  10. Need a 'Crown' for a Yamaha Flute

Cool. I simply browsed this part of the forum and found your topic as the most recent post at the top of the page, I had not looked to see how long ago it was that you had started the topic. I assumed it was recent. Good to see you have one, nothing more disconcerting than a piece...
  11. Need a 'Crown' for a Yamaha Flute

Did you find one, if not PM me, I have a draw with about 3-400 of them in it (used), pay postage and all is good
  12. Fun With Brass

The Ebonol I use, Supplied in a 20 litre drum, Liquid in form No heating required
  13. Fun With Brass

Matt, Ebonol, can be purchased in bulk, we buy ours in 20 litre drums at a time. Have you looked at some of those funky finishes that are coming out these days, some are bluish green, others are vintage brown, matt black and so on. Ebonol, dependant on the mix rate and how you apply it...
  14. Fun With Brass

I left that for the original poster, I was merely giving you an alternative name to purchase under In regards to your questions Q1. Ebonol can be purchased at almost any chemical suppliers, if you wish matt, you have my personal email address, send me an email and I can tell you how to...
  15. Fun With Brass

Matt, can also be purchased under the name of Ebonol
  16. NAPBIRT Saxophone University

Yes you could be right, a wedge may be less accurate, the ball can and would work if you could remove the section that fouls the area not in question, hence the picture with the leading edge scalloped away. I only know this becuase I used to be a jet engine mechanic, spent many years stripping...
  17. NAPBIRT Saxophone University

You can make the ball gauge as shown work, you would however have to gring the leading edge of the ball away so as to ensure it would not contact unwanted areas of the pad
  18. NAPBIRT Saxophone University

Hi mate, no dis-agreement here. Apologise if it appears so. John uses the ball gauges for his own references. My discussion has taken over regarding the measuring as per yamahas listed tolerances. (which I dont do) When working with concentric surfaces its very easy to use verniers ball gauges...
  19. NAPBIRT Saxophone University

Ive taken the liberty of editing johns picture to explain what I was referring to. The upper and lower stack relationship of key pivot point to tone hole surface differ quite dramatically between saxophones, even on the same sax. I have not changed the arch of each key displayed to compensate...
  20. NAPBIRT Saxophone University

Agreed, step wedges make good aproximate measurements, by your displayed process, 0.005" is pretty good for 30cents worth of cardboard to make the tool out of It is also hard to impossible to gauge how inaccurate a process will be by drawings, an example is, you show the fulcrum point of the...
Back
Top Bottom