Search results

1. shmuelyosef

Synthetic reeds question

I find the latest install of Legere reeds to be better than cane in every dimension...however, I don't play any classical...primarily Bluegrass, Klezmer, Rock 'n Roll, Big Band...
  2. shmuelyosef

Klezmer on alto

I have been known to play a bass clarinet in a Klezmer band (also in a bluegrass band, both soprano and bass clarinet)
  3. shmuelyosef

Synthetic oboe reeds

I have had very good results with synthetics on clarinet, and use them exclusively on tenor and baritone sax
  4. shmuelyosef

Selmer series 9 Bb clarinet

...just chiming in here on the clarinet type I have 3 Selmer clarinets from this era: - P-series Centered Tone - Full Boehm Centered Tone - Early Series 9 I mostly play the Centered tone, but I also have a Yamaha Custom 853 that is a great practice horn as the intonation is so perfect, and I...
  5. shmuelyosef

What's The Best Deal On A Horn You Ever Got?

About 10 years ago, I stumbled upon an ad in Craigslist...turns out, a father that lives in a wealthy neighborhood nearby bought a brand new Yanagisawa B-991 bari sax for his 15-year-old son. The son messed around with it for a month or two and then decided he wasn't interested. I replied to the...
  6. shmuelyosef

Large Bore Clarinets

I play only large bore clarinets because I like the free-blowing nature (more than the small tonality difference). The throat tones come in tune if you relax your jaw and open your air passage...try this and you will see the tuning flexibility...practice long tones in the throat tone region...
  7. shmuelyosef

Crystal MPC with metal lig slippage problem?

Ditto on Rovner ligs...particularly the "Lite" models that have two narrow straps
  8. shmuelyosef

Crystal MPC with metal lig slippage problem?

I have found that bite patches and electrical tape get gooey/grungy pretty quickly. I tend to glue strips of TechCork to the inside of the ligature for mouthpieces that are slippery (or too small for lig).
  9. shmuelyosef

Yamaha Saxophones

The only Yamaha saxophones that ever "grabbed me" are the YxS -61 series and the Custom Z series (I own a silver-plated pair of alto/tenor). There is nothing 'wrong' with the 23, but it doesn't take much money to get a middle aged Yanagisawa, or even an early Cannonball, for example.
  10. shmuelyosef

Am I the only crazy clarinetist with 5 barrels?

I have used the muncy rings for several years. They are great...
  11. shmuelyosef

Hazardous Exposure to Noise: in concert band setting

I play in both big band and rock settings (woodwinds and keyboards). I always wear earplugs... period. I like the erymotics as well but have used the Hearos brand
  12. shmuelyosef

76 year old coming back to clarinet after 25 years

...I totally agree, I'm a woodwind tech, and (in the interest of getting quality horns into middle school programs) spent some time during the pandemic looking at the cheapest way to generate exceptional-playing clarinets and alto saxophones for the schools. I focused on <shopgoodwill.com> as my...
  13. shmuelyosef

How to use an H-59 neck expander.

To quote the Ferree's web site "Do NOT just clamp down and start cranking, be discreet. " What the tool does is exactly as you say...it grabs a circumferential slice of the neck tenon and (ideally) squeezes in uniformly around the entire circumference. The theory and practice of it is that by...
  14. shmuelyosef

Boosey & Hawkes 1-10 & 2-20

The first horn I ever worked on was a silver-plated Conn Wonder tenor saxophone; I got to learn everything, including patching holes where it was corroded through...I learned about making and tightening keywork, straightening parts, dent work, lots of soldering, etc...it cleaned up well and was...
  15. shmuelyosef

Favorite Ligature and affects on tonal qualities

I mostly use a Bonade inverted. There are some things I don't like about them, and I have modified the two I have, but they work pretty well, are easy to line up and press on the Reed with two long bars. I like the Optimum but it is too big for both my favorite mouthpieces (Fobes and Grabner)...
  16. shmuelyosef

Barrels

Reawakening this old thread...curious about this. I play old Selmer CT and Series 9 clarinets. Have recently started playing with more open mouthpieces, as it makes doubling with sax much easier to accommodate. Unfortunately, I tend to blow a little flat, and all I have with these clarinets are...
  17. shmuelyosef

What is your Flute setup

I had all but replaced my J40 (anniversary model of 211) with a Muramatsu EXIII a couple years ago, but early this year I managed to get a reasonable price on a used 'EC' cut head. I now find myself playing the 211/EC combo more than my Muramatsu; the M is sweeter, but the Y is more versatile...
  18. shmuelyosef

Finger Heights

Eric Alexander is a master of playing at light speed with no blurring of the fingers. I'm told it's the same thing watching him run a marathon.
  19. shmuelyosef

What is your alto flute set up?

deMedici with a straight joint...
  20. shmuelyosef

Yanagisawa Tenor With A Modern Keilwerth Neck

I have fitted a Couf Superba neck to my T880 and it still sounds the same...the sterling Yani '95' neck is more different than the Couf.
Back
Top Bottom