Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. Merlin

out of tune bassoon

There are so many factors. It could be the reed. Have you tried a few? It could be you. Have you had another player try the instrument? It might be a combination of both factors. Are you an experienced bassoonist?
  2. Merlin

Buffet B12, Equivalent or Similar help?

You don't need a clarinet that's "just right". You just need a decent working clarinet with a middle of the road mouthpiece and then spend a lot of time with it. It sounds like you've spent more time acquiring clarinets than practicing.
  3. Merlin

Fritz Schueller Bass Clarinet

Looks like a very small bore instrument. Reading the description, does it say that it's keyed to D?
  4. Merlin

Embouchure Obstacles

I just got a shipment of Legeres, and have now dialed in my tenor setup, so I feel I can answer this. All of my commercial setups on sax have pretty much the same numbered strength reed on them now. Vandoren S25 on sop, with a Legere Signature 2.75 Meyer NY 6 on alto, with a Legere Signature...
  5. Merlin

The Woodwind Doubling Channel on YouTube is now up!

Yes, I have a few of them. Once I tried out the Susato's though, there was no contest to me.
  6. Merlin

Episode 15, Pennywhistles, is now up! https://youtu.be/9eUh7ElzE64
  7. Merlin

Looking at mics

I've used my Zoom H6 successfully as a recording interface. It's also an excellent standalone recorder. I have a variety of mics available, and given some experimentation, and a decent space to record in, you can get a good sound in a lot of different ways. If you have a look at some of the...
  8. Merlin

Just posted episode 11 and 12!
  9. Merlin

Need clarinet model from Serial Number

FWIW, IIRC, the standard plastic Bundy clarinet model number was 1400 or 1401?
  10. Merlin

Just getting ready to upload Episode Seven!
  11. Merlin

My new channel, Woodwind Doubling is now up on YouTube! Please visit and subscribe!
  12. Merlin

Going on a cruise gig!

I'm in Southampton for the turnaround between cruises. We're just back from the Med/Adriatic, and sailing shortly for the Eastern Caribbean. So far, I've played shows with 4 guest entertainers (2 different shows per performer, 2 performances of each). We've also had a big band dance, and a jazz...
  13. Merlin

Going on a cruise gig!

A big plus for me - the ships I'm booked on are adults only.
  14. Merlin

Going on a cruise gig!

I think I've been somewhat conspicuously absent of late. It's been a year of upheaval and worries, though I have been working steadily, if not as busily, with the Stratford Festival. I'd anticipated that there'd be no contract for me in the 2015 season, as the musicals they're doing are...
  15. Merlin

Which reed should I go with?

I try and make sure none of my horns has an extreme setup requiring a significantly hard or soft reed. When I play sax in show or jazz contexts, all of the horns have some kind of #3 on them. Clarinets are usually 3.5.
  16. Merlin

Vandoren's own recommendations for the 5RV are 3-4. I'd got with a 3.5 V12
  17. Merlin

Your context fails to mention what mouthpiece you use. Personally, unless you're playing a tip opening of less than a millimeter, I'd say there's absolutely no reason to use a # 5.
  18. Merlin

Stratford Festival 2014

Checking WF on my phone!
  19. Merlin

Stratford Festival 2014

I hacked away on bassoon from my early college days on and off. When the Producers was running in Toronto in 2003/04, I had to buckle down and get a bit more serious about it. The biggest leap forward for me came a few years ago when I started making reeds as well. My best advice for the...
Back
Top Bottom