Search results

1. Romanian tárogatós: Worth the Risk or Not

You bet. Mine is believed to be Romanian by many and is an incredible instrument with a beautiful tone. If you pay under $1500 you're fine.
  2. tárogató altissimo fingerings

Thanks. They're not only different for each instrument but for each musician as well - however these are nice guidelines to work with. I have a different kind of unidentified (likely custom) key system on my unmarked tárogató. I'd post pictures but no cam. It's all grenadilla with silver plated...
  3. Woodwind Diversity, etc

Again to follow up with my curious nature, I've been noticing by buzzing around different discussion sites in regards to woodwind, both professional and amateur, and I'm very pleased to see the large amount of "doubling" players, given the fact that I'm very new to the internet and have been...
  4. DIY In Home Studios

Hi there pete. I think you've pretty much said it right, however the version of GB I've been using does not support third party options. I've been planning on purchasing the newest version as I've heard it does in fact support VSTs, etc... As a mere hobbyist and non-professional I generally...
  5. DIY In Home Studios

This post is in regards to those of you, such as myself, who have their own little studio, make-shift or not, I am curious as to your equipment, set-up, software, etc. I record predominantly in garage band, although it's not a top choice for quality, I've figured out it's secrets and am able to...
  6. Didgeridoo Lessons

I make them, mostly for the art of it versus playing, I do use them in recordings frequently however. I find the continuous drone/rhythm to be a bit monotonous after a while, and once you learn to do everything you can with them, you're left with the whole "what next?" issue. All of mine are in...
  7. Humongous Recorders

Bigger is better in my world. I used to play a couple contrabass recorders, and if I recall correctly the intonation was quite satisfactory for something of it's kind. I typically don't like recorders, but the contras were a blast. Good luck finding a nice one that plays in tune, though.
  8. What's your Bass Clarinet Setup

Vito horn, vandoren b45 mouthpiece, 2 1/2 reeds and occasionally 3 /12s if the piece calls for it. Generic, cheap ligature, but surprisingly it does a fantastic job. For a common, inexpensive instrument, it sure performs. As far as playing position, I'm used to holding the horn 90 degrees...
  9. Clarinet , mouthpiece and reeds

B45s are reliable, well loved mouthpieces, I owned and used one at one point until somehow it got stolen. With experience comes the muscle tone earlier mentioned, but also comes the wider choice of being able to use different strengths to achieve different kinds of tones at will, which comes...
  10. tárogató Restoration

I believe there are plenty more of us whom treat exotic and expensive woodwind restoration in a similar way. Local shops are never the best answer, that is one thing for sure. 2nd octave A is my limit with this particular instrument, it's a bit tough to squeak out but it fits where it needs to...
  11. tárogató Restoration

I've done similar restorations. My instrument was much like yours, and made of a similar wood. I re-built the middle, and the top tenon sockets, using a cylindrical reamer in knowing that for the particular bore of that tárogató, the difference would be minor if not for the better. I ended up...
Back
Top Bottom