Search results

1. catty

Rodion Shchedrin oboe concerto

Thanks Pete--yes I think I'll have to order a copy. Heard it on the radio over the weekend--an evocative work, reminded me of Ligeti a bit in some sections
  2. catty

Rodion Shchedrin oboe concerto

Can anyone suggest a link where I might find a recording of this? Thanks
  3. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

Oh, thanks Pete
  4. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

Well that's not unexpected. Art tends to invoke vigorous thought (and emotion) for those inclined. I realize it's not for everyone, and not always suitable for general discourse--its not an easy subject Thanks while it lasted
  5. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

Yes, I can see that you seem angry (I think that is typical reaction to much art music, and much art in other mediums as well) Are you certain this is the only response you have to the music? Perhaps if you listened again...? ( But even still, there is usually much more beneath the anger, and...
  6. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

I think it is evident that Boulez (as well as the players playing the "lizard..." piece) are conveying "emotion" I will point out that--one of the primary functions of "art" is to elicit "emotion" in the receiver (viewer, listener, etc). It sounds to me, kev, that you do indeed react with an...
  7. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

But, can music be art? (must music be strictly concordant...?) At least, it's an alternative to piano piece after piano piece...
  8. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

What prevents many from activities is tradition and "properness"; someone on the forum posted: "seems that no pipes are allowed in ITM unless there is a bag attached to it" :geezer1:
  9. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

Well I couldn't resist the thread--when I saw two of my favorite words: "weird oboe"
  10. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

One more reason for folks to be "uncomfortable" with me here: I'm using my oboe to play Irish/Scottish tunes, among ther things. But hey, they don't much care for it over on the ITM boards either.. :tongue:
  11. catty

Weird, weird oboe.

Well, I recommend "jazz" for art music--plenty of variety. Personally, I use my oboe to assuage my inner Coltrane...I prefer it to sop sax
  12. catty

Yamaha 221ii bass clarinet

Well, I haven't been round ere for some time...forgot by now what it was specifically I wanted to know! Although, generally, I'm interested when a new player--especially one new to playing musical instruments--decides on the b cl, and am curious how this inspiration occurs. And your story...
  13. catty

Yamaha 221ii bass clarinet

Hi werecow. I'm interested in hearing more about your experience. I also recently (in April) took to clarinets...in my case, after 40 years of playing other instruments...and found the cl simply natural, pretty much immediately. Typically, this has not been my experience with most chromatic...
  14. catty

Bass Clarinet

I received my CF Debut mouthpiece ($37 at MF, nfi) this morning. Not a particularly signifcant tonal difference between it and the PRECISION mpc, but the Debut renders altissimo much more easily--playing smoothly like the other registers. Just as with my alto sax, upgrading from the PRECISION...
  15. catty

WF New People Introductions

Oh, and...prepare to be trammeled :twisted:
  16. catty

WF New People Introductions

Greetings I've experimented with instruments most of my life. Portability was always something that appealed to me--partly I think because most of my gigging is with drums and doublebass, and I also have this image of busking for a living when either Yellowstone or the economy (or both)...
  17. catty

Bass Clarinet

Thank you--I'm looking forward to trying synthetics. I think that will be the thing, especially in the summer here in the dry West
  18. catty

Bass Clarinet

Nope--having too much fun as is
  19. catty

Bass Clarinet

Well in case anyone is keeping score besides me...I solved my problems by carefully observing my horn's performance (noticing that it wouldn't play in late afternoons...seems a no-brainer now). Clearly, it is climactic conditions affecting my reeds. I take care to moisten my reeds extra in the...
  20. catty

Rhapsodizing for clarinet

Bag's Groove..
Back
Top Bottom