Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. Helen

Bass saxophones & setups

Bari and bass are incredibly different. Eb vs Bb notwithstanding, they are about as different as soprano and tenor. The haunting sounds of bari sax you get C3 and through the palm keys is the most beautiful sound in the world. IMHO of course. Sure some baris play to low A, but my low Bb baris...
  2. Helen

Bell Key Problem

Last conversation I had with Stephen, he mentioned he was looking at re-doing them in a non-Haynes format in a 2nd printing of sorts. It was going to take some work however, so he didn't have a timeline for the project.
  3. Helen

Yo. Repair Guys. You're Doing it Wrong.

Takes up less room that way. ;):D Absolutely. I have crushed one in my studio now. Used to hang on the wall. Now it lays on the fireplace hearth.
  4. Helen

SX90R Shadow Tenor

Yes, yes it is! Me, an affinity for German saxes? Say it isn't so! itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_016.gif
  5. Helen

jbtsax

Yes, I was about to post this. Thank you saxhound for doing this. John and I corresponded over the years not only via forums, but also via email and even via snail mail. He and I would chat about everything from sax acoustics, to vintage German saxophones, to alto saxophone mutes. I have one...
  6. Helen

SX90R Shadow Tenor

Anyone who knows me, or has read anything on my website, likely knows that I am a vintage sax player. Have been, and always will be... Well almost. In September I had the opportunity to play-test a horn that I've been curious about for years: A Shadow tenor by Keilwerth. How this happened...
  7. Helen

Octo-Contrabass Saxophone (Completely Theoretical)

I guess my question would be: to what end? Sure, for the fun of the build, but I can see no practical applications for something like this. Why? Because of the limitations of human hearing. There is a point where low sounds become just a rumble of mush, and anything below a contra is getting...
  8. Helen

Selmer spare parts

Have you checked with an authorized Selmer dealer? Failing that, there are some other options open to you: 1. Check with clarinet speciality shops to see what they recommend, 2. Speak to a shop that machines parts. They can make one for you. It will cost you some $$, and I'm not sure it's worth...
  9. Helen

Review of a Jinbao-made Sakkusu bass sax

I suspect Pete is having serious headaches. I am giving him a pass. :emoji_hugging:
  10. Helen

Thanks Jim. Glad you liked it. I checked my SPAM comments, and yours was not one of them. It must have been blocked before it even made it through. Mmmm.... wonder why? Weird... If that happened to you, I wonder how many other people this happens to? Time to take a look at my SPAM filters and...
  11. Helen

LeMonte clarinet

Orsi? But without pics, can't say anything about anything? ;):)
  12. Helen

Last weekend I had the opportunity to finally play a short-wrap bass saxophone by Jinbao. It was a stencilled with the name Sakkusu, for sax.co.uk Yesterday I published a in-depth and lengthy review about the horn, and also compared it to my personal bass: a Herb Couf Superba I from 1983. The...
  13. Helen

New Bass Sax Section on Bassic Sax

When I started Bassic Sax over 20 years ago, its original purpose was as resource for bass sax players, and would-be players. Fast forward a couple of decades and the site has evolved, acquired some new domains, and grown way beyond its original focus of bass saxophones. As a matter of fact...
  14. Helen

Tenor sax mouthpiece on Alto Clarinet?

Not a fan. But as Barry said above ^^, hard to say if it's the recording or what. The recording you did of the Star Wars tune sounded "better". But what I think is better, is also quite subjective. Now I need to state that I am not an alto clarinet player. I double on bass clarinet & clarinet...
  15. Helen

Inherited these woodwind a long time ago. What are they?

So about the sax.... Yup, it's a Keilwerth. I am in the process of redoing the entire Keilwerth section of my site, but the portion on this age of horns has already been done. First up, the serial places it circa. 1937 It is a Bb tenor sax in nickel plate. Unless there is some writing I...
  16. Helen

The Big Iron

It is most definitely a J'Elle Stainer.
  17. Helen

Keilwerth King, New King, & Toneking Breakdown

Having the part numbers help. Where do you live? What country? I can reach out to our local rep. I can tell you that dealing with Buffet can be challenging. I have a good relationship with our rep. I know others who don't get replies from the same rep. Maybe their emails get filtered into...
  18. Helen

Keilwerth King, New King, & Toneking Breakdown

So that angel wing is made of black plastic? Strange. Never seen one like it before. Any idea where it came from? As for where you can get a replacement metal one, I have heard from JK-Germany that they have them in stock and available for the Series III The New King and Toneking alto and tenor...
  19. Helen

Buescher true tone alto sax

@pete. Sorry 'bout that. Didn't see that in all the other good info you gave. My bad. :emoji_blush:
Back
Top Bottom