Search results

1. kris

Community Band - Post Pandemic

Hi, everyone! I joined the club here back in 2011 when I first joined my local community band. The pandemic shut us down and sadly we still have not been able to reconvene. Even more sadly, I've become rather depressed and complacent when I "lost my band" and haven't been playing. So, I'm...
  2. kris

Stop the Spit!

Okay, thanks! After reading everyone's responses, it makes a whole lot more since now.... and... I forgot to mention I'm still adjusting to a new mouthpiece :oops:. So when I factor that in with all the tonguing, my reed is only about a week old, and I hadn't had anything to drink since dinner...
  3. kris

Stop the Spit!

Too funny! I could have used one!
  4. kris

Stop the Spit!

Hey, everyone... it's been a few weeks since I've stopped by, busy with the usual holiday stuff. Quick question... in my community band, we are currently playing "Procession of Nobles - from Mlada by Nicholas Rimsky-Korsakov. Here's a link to the Airforce band playing it on Youtube...
  5. kris

CSO - a really "good" one!

Gandalfe, :lol: My husband, being the jokester that he is, brought up the idea that it would be worth $89 just to see the look on everyone's face if I showed up at band practice with a hot pink clarinet. I'm sure the look would indeed be priceless..... but I think I'll keep my money! I have...
  6. kris

Meet the Band

Thanks for the link.... the video is long but worth watching. Definitely speaks to my heart!
  7. kris

WF New People Introductions

Welcome, Aaron!
  8. kris

CSO - a really "good" one!

I was just browsing Amazon.com for Christmas wishlist ideas, and came across a hot pink plastic clarinet. For $89 you get a clarinet - that has awesome features such as a barrel and a bell! They throw in a free matching mouthpiece (hot pink...), and 11 free reeds. Oh, and a screwdriver...
  9. kris

Difference Between R13 and Prestige R13

Thanks for the great, and helpful responses! Both of my local music stores carry the R13 nickel plated but not the Prestige. The guy at the first store I looked at today, I believe, was full of, well.... never mind. He tried to convince me that the R13 was going out of style and I should only...
  10. kris

Difference Between R13 and Prestige R13

So looking at the descriptions on WWBW.com, it looks like the only major difference between the R13 with silver plated keywork and the Prestige R13 is the extra key (alternate Eb/Ab lever)? Did I miss something, because the price is a pretty steep difference between the two? I'm looking to...
  11. kris

Possible Solution for Right Thumb Pain

I'd been using a piece of cut tubing that MY beginning band director cut for me years ago! In the last kit I purchased with a new swab, cork grease, etc, there was a little foam thumbrest. This time around my thumb definitely needed something more, the saddle is doing the job. Ben's device is...
  12. kris

Possible Solution for Right Thumb Pain

I just wanted to toss this out there for anyone who may benefit.... Since I started playing again, my right thumb has not been forgiving to me of the years my clarinet spent in it's case. I had even purchased a thumb support brace as at night, my thumb was hurting, and during our recent band...
  13. kris

V12's - All I Can Say is WOW!

Just had to take a moment to jump up and down and scream like a little girl! I just received a box of Vandoren V12 Bb clar reeds... oh my goodness! The sound is so pure, dark, clear! The response is awesome - my articulation is right on, and I have great control in all the registers...
  14. kris

What makes a good band, better?

Just realized Ruth and I are both from North Carolina! Hi, neighbor!
  15. kris

What makes a good band, better?

As a new community band member, I would have to say getting to know the new folks and making them feel welcome is a big plus. The band I joined did this well, and it's a huge motivator to play better and practice smarter when you have a team to work with to reach that goal of pulling off a...
  16. kris

Suggestions for a new mouthpiece

Thanks for the thread links .... That helps quite a bit. I'd like to stay with the C85 line. I have the 115. Apparently the 120 is more open and requires a softer reed, and the 105 is more closed and requires a harder reed? How will each of these mpc effect tone compared with my 115 which is...
  17. kris

Suggestions for a new mouthpiece

My intermediate clarinet originally came with a Selmer C85 115 mouthpiece. A couple of years ago, I bought a Vandoren M15. I love the way the M15 feels in my mouth, but it seems like I lose a little seal around the corners of my mouth. I also find myself biting it more. The C85 seems to have...
  18. kris

Important birthday Saturday !!

Happy Birthday, Voxman!
  19. kris

Double-Lip Embouchure

When I first started playing in junior high, it was "natural" for me to use double-lip, but I was taught that that was an "old" way of playing and that the newest instruction was for single. So that's probably why I bite too hard. Have to use a hard reed to hit the high notes, but then it's...
  20. kris

Premium Grenadilla or Green Line Composite (HUH???)

Thanks! Great information, guys! :smile:
Back
Top Bottom