Search results

1. HaRon

Geetars

+1 for going to a shop to try and hold some basses so you can feel the difference. As Carl mentioned the Squiers have some very nice models in the lower price range. Feel the difference between a P and a J bass, the latter having a slimmer neck wich could just be enough to overcome problems with...
  2. HaRon

What is your alto setup?

Here you go, these are a bit older and made with a simple camera and made inside as I recall. The pitting shown in the last two pictures seems worse then in live view. This one was setup by Gayle.
  3. HaRon

Is this Yani worth its price?

Congrats Pauli, The A900 was my first alto and I'm still loving it. Have fun with it, if in decent shape you got it at a good price being in the Eurozone.
  4. HaRon

What is your alto setup?

Yani A900 with a Selmer C* or Rousseau Metal Jazz and Rovner lig. 1938 Buescher Aristocrat with Morgan 3C or Link TE 6*. Lately I'm most of the time on the Yani but whenever I pick up the Crat I really enjoy the slick keywork. Gus did great things.
  5. HaRon

Reed finishing quality

The current Rico's are indeed a bit rough on the finish. I have a preference for old stock Rico's (V-style etc.) and they are always nice and smooth. Besides that I also find more good ones in a box. Royals are also French filed but just as rough as the current unfiled Orange Box.
  6. HaRon

What is your Clarinet setup ?

The tonal quality is about the main reason I decided to go for it, but I need some time to appreciate mine..:) I'll take it slow, fundamentals first and up until now I really enjoy exploring the instrument.
  7. HaRon

What is your Clarinet setup ?

After thinking this over and reading a lot about it I finally decided to pick up the clarinet as a double, playing mainly tenor and alto sax. Going for some lessons every few weeks to prevent some bad habits, but already having loads of fun with it. Focussing on fingerplacement (I already play...
  8. HaRon

How Clean Does My Instrument Need to Be?

Same here, rinse the mpc with water and sometimes some soap or mouthwash that has some chlorohexidyne in it. Also water mixed with mouthwash for the reeds, keeps them very minty.
  9. HaRon

Sticky Bis Key from Hell!

Doesn't the Bis-key also move on a seperate rod that goes down to the linkage below the G# pad. Maybe something is wrong with that keyrod or linkage further below, only showing by the way your friend pushes down on that key (slightly different angle when touching, just enough to let a possible...
  10. HaRon

What Do You Look (Listen) for ?

Al, I always buy multiple boxes. Living in Europe and always buying reeds in the USA, shipping fees are to be considered. They differ from 4.50 up to 34.00 for sending a box of reeds. I order with Junkdude, 4.50 for the first box and an additional smaller fee for every extra box. Most of the...
  11. HaRon

What Do You Look (Listen) for ?

With my Blues / coverband I played a Ponzol M2 with either Rico's 2.5 or LaVoz M. Happy with both and to my ear the LaVoz only seemed a bit darker sounding. Every now and then I sub in concertband and had to switch to a S80 C** with VD 3.5's. Always had problems making that switch and had a...
  12. HaRon

Wanted: Student Alto/Tenor Sax

Pete, get in touch with saintsday on sotw. He usually has some vito's and yamaha's available and normally they are ready to play.
  13. HaRon

Ledoux?

Here is a Ledoux on eBay at the moment
  14. HaRon

Series VII, VIII, DA, SDA tenors

I finally got my SDA tenor back a few days ago and I must say I'm having lots of fun with this horn. I had to wait about 6 months longer as expected, but my tech was very busy and we agreed on doing the work on this horn 'between jobs'. A longer wait, but evrything that had to be done this also...
  15. HaRon

Post-Concert Depression?

I'm familiar with that feeling, especially after a BigBand gig. Relaxing with your friends after the show, have a beer and some small talk usually helps. Also a difficult uptempo score waiting for you at home wakes you up. BTW, the interaction between this thread and the Google ad on top of the...
  16. HaRon

What's The Best Deal On A Horn You Ever Got?

About half a year ago I found a Buffet SDA tenor in silverplate. Owned by a community band and always been played by the same person. It had been in the storageroom for several years. I think after it was knocked over or something. Needed a major overhaul, work to the body, posts, keyrods etc...
  17. HaRon

Beaugnier-Made Vito Low A Bari Sax For Sale

Pete, I've put a link to the USPS website on the SotW thread. UPS, Fedex and DHL are way more expensive but are more flexible with size limits. USPS site gives $130 at 35lbs with Priority International (6-10 days). This seems an ok price, as I remember I had to pay around $100 for shipping a...
  18. HaRon

Yanagisawa Alto, Model No.?

That A900 was the first sax I bought a few years back after messing around with a leaking Weltklang for several weeks. I went to a small shop nearby and the owner took all the time I needed and gave some very nice advice. After several try-outs I decided to go with the Yani. The owner is still...
  19. HaRon

Back-up Horns - Do you use them?

I play my Serie III in concertband. Also in the evenings at home, my e-Sax prefers right side bell keys. R&B band is with my Crat, so I don't see any of them as a real backup horn. At the moment I have a Buffet SDA at my tech, a horn that had some rough times when I found it, but I thought this...
  20. HaRon

whos from sotw?

Grumpie on SotW, old nickname my (former) brother in law gave me a long time ago. Avatar is the same.
Back
Top Bottom