Search results

1. Paulc135

Contrabass Sarrusophone

contrabass sarrusophone sound A bassoon student who also plays saxophone at Montclair State University used one of my contrabass sarrusophones for a wind ensemble concert. The piece was Grainger's "Children's March" in the original instrumentation. She spent most of the semester learning to...
  2. Paulc135

Martin made Lyon & Healy "Perfect Curved" sop

An appropriate mouthpiece is one whose chamber size is commensurate with the design of the instrument. In the case of virtually all saxophones up to 1930 (with a few exceptions) this means a large chamber mouthpiece. A more homogeneous tone throughout and more consistent intonation in all...
  3. Paulc135

National Music Museum

I have my four PC reader volumes ready, but not posted anywhere. The other columns are scanned but not consolidated into theme volumes. Not sure when that will take place. I dont have the expertise to know how or where to post them for download. If all of my articles were scanned...
  4. Paulc135

Conn F Mezzo Propaganda

I own 2 F mezzos and 2 Connosaxes, and concertize on one of each. They do sound very different (using the same original F mouthpiece). Whether the difference is inherent in the different shapes and lengths, or if those elements makes it easier for a player to direct in one direction or another...
  5. Paulc135

Allen Loomis C Melody

I had not heard of a Loomis C Melody until the picture on Facebook was posted. From the picture it looks real to me. Loomis had access in Toledo to one of the most advanced design and manufacturing facilities in America at that time; the Packard automobile factory on Monroe street (later the...
  6. Paulc135

Slide Saxophone

The circular slide saxophone is one of the most remarkable instruments I have played. I found out that three survived and were being kept by the family. I had the pleasure of videotaping my playing of the instrument at their home in Ohio, and if there is any interest I'll try to find a way to...
  7. Paulc135

National Music Museum

I am beginning to make some of my articles available as PDF scans from the Saxophone Journal. I've compiled some into four small volumes call the "PC Reader" (I-IV), and many others are about to be similarly compiled into thematic volumes. Paul Cohen
  8. Paulc135

Conn F Mezzo Propaganda

There is a distinction between the Conn F instruments and the 19th century F instruments (I have some of both). The 19th century F altos are truly altos in the key of F. They have a depth of sound and tone quality clearly of an alto nature. Conn was very specific in calling their F...
  9. Paulc135

Allen Loomis C Melody

Yes, I still have my Loomis, #5, and it is the same one in the book "Celebrating the Saxophone". I wrote an article on these horns as part of my Vintage Saxophones Revisited Columns some years ago. A truly stunning instrument for how it looks, feels, sounds, and how elegantly it is crafted...
  10. Paulc135

Martin made Lyon & Healy "Perfect Curved" sop

My impressions of the intonation of these sopranos from 20 years ago have not changed since then, but dealing with intonation issues, and interpretation of their characteristics, is not always so straightforward. Intonation on the saxophone in particular is as much in the ear of the player as it...
Back
Top Bottom