Search results

1. Daily Exercises

You can definitely do harmonics/overtones on flute. I'd say they're one of the best ways to get your sound together on the flute. In addition to overtones, I like to do long tones with flutter tonguing or singing the same pitch I'm playing. A good example is the first exercise in the Moyse De...
  2. Ray Pizzi on jazz bassoon

Ray Pizzi's a monster! Also be sure to check out some of Paul Hanson's videos on youtube. He's got great versions of Donna Lee and Got A Match.
  3. What's on your "Listening Plate"?

I've been listening to younger tenor players, primarily Julien Wilson and Bob Reynolds.
  4. What is your Clarinet setup ?

My setup has changed quite a bit since I posted it over a year ago. Now I'm playing the same R13 with a Backun Fatboy barrel, Backun bell, Grabner K13 mouthpiece, BG lig, Vandoren V12 3.5, and a Ton Kooiman thumb rest. All of the changes have been positive in their own way and I've never been...
  5. What are your doubles?

picc flute alto flute Bb clarinet bass clarinet soprano, alto, tenor, baritone saxophones whistle (in D) a couple sideblown wood flutes I would consider myself primarily a tenor player.
  6. What are some of the shows(and the books in them) everybody has played?

Annie - Reed 2 Cats (10-piece orch.) - Reed 1 You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown - Reed 1 Hello Dolly - Reed 2 Company - Reed 2 or 3, can't remember It's a Grand Night For Singing - Reed 1 How to Succeed in Business - Reed 4 42nd Street - Reed 1 Jersey Boys - Reed 2
  7. What is your piccolo setup?

I play a Hammig 650/3 with the Hammig modified thin wave headjoint.
  8. Which instruments should I get?

A quick update - Yesterday I bought a piccolo at Flutacious in LA. Anybody in Socal looking for a flute or picc should check this place out. It's owned by Cynthia Kelley who is a flautist/repair tech. I set up an appt. with her, walked in, told her what I was looking for and my budget and she...
  9. Woodwind books of Thoroughly Modern Millie

http://www.bretpimentel.com/doubling/shows/index.shtml This page lists the woodwind orchestrations for a TON of shows including Thoroughly Modern Millie.
  10. Nina Perlove on YouTube

Check out Nina Perlove on YouTube. She is the flute prof. at Northern Kentucky University and has about 40 videos, both of performances and instruction. Just put her name in the search box and watch the videos.
  11. FL lig for RPC bari

I got info from a couple of guys on SOTW that have used an FL tenor XL with good results. Hopefully I can try the one from my Soloist. I'll let everyone know if it fits.
  12. The Joe Allard Project

Thanks for posting this, Ed. I have looked at this site quite a bit. I am really interested in Joe Allard's concepts, particularly those regarding embouchure. I've been wanting to take a few lessons with one of his students to talk about and see those concepts in practice. Dave Liebman's book...
  13. FL lig for RPC bari

I will make the first non-Rovner ligature post. I play on FL ligs and want to know which size I need to get for an RPC 110B bari mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is waiting for me in the US so I will have it in a week and a half when I get back from China (finally!). I am hoping I can learn which size...
  14. Sax Alley Thumbhook

I have the Ton Kooiman Forte thumbrest on my tenor and it has made an incredible difference in my playing. I was suffering from tendonitis and after I got the thumbrest, my problems when away and haven't bothered me since (two years). I wish saxophone manufacturers would take this into account...
  15. Julian Bliss plays Mozart clarinet concerto (final movt)

I have a great recording of Sabine Meyer playing the Mozart on basset clarinet. I also recently purchased the Barenreiter version of the Mozart concerto and it includes parts for clarinet in A and basset clarinet. It is interesting to sit down and compare the two.
  16. Blogs for Woodwind Player

Hello Mr. Thomas, Thank you for sharing your blog with this forum. It is very well-written and displays a great deal of thoughtfulness. I like the idea of the relationship with an instrument. That really expresses the level of intimacy that is required for each of us to have a chance at...
  17. Classical literature - The top 5

I started a similar thread in the flute section. I'd like to know what are the top 5 clarinet pieces. The pieces every clarinetist knows. Feel free to list more or less.
  18. Classical lit - The top 5

Before I came to China, I was taking flute lessons for a few months. In that time, I worked on Taffenel-Gaubert, Moyse De La Sonorite, and a couple of Étude books. I didn't get to work on any literature and I'd like to any flautists to comment on the top 5 pieces in the repertoire. By top 5, I...
  19. What is your tenor setup?

My tenor setup is: Selmer SA80II Florida STM 8, FL lig., Vandoren 3 1/2 reeds Selmer D Long Shank Soloist opened to .100 by Brian Powell. Vandoren V16 T77 Forte thumbrest
  20. What is your alto setup?

My alto setup is: Selmer SA80 II with Morgan Excalibur 7E, FL lig., and Vandoren ZZ 3 reeds or Vandoren AL4, FL lig., Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds.
Back
Top Bottom