Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. Damn Yankees

I have both reed 2 and 3 in my possession getting ready for a 3 weekend run in June. Reed 2 has a lot of clarinet, the flute/piccolo parts are double scored for clarinet which I am going to do part of the time, and some nice alto lines. Reed 3 is a lot of oboe and English Horn (both again...
  2. Hello Dolly

While I agree that our local theatre groups do not have a lot of money for musicians, in this case we were crowded into the wing of stage right. 1 trumpet, me, MD on keys, upright bass and drums was all we had room for. Looks like I'm on tap at another theatre for GRAND HOTEL this summer...
  3. Hello Dolly

I just got home from show #6 of a 10 show run of DOLLY. As typical community theater in my area, they hired only 1 reed. I am playing primarily reed 1 although I am using some of the clarinet parts of reed 2. Reed 1 is flute heavy as usual and has the lead sax lines. Reed 2 has some great...
  4. Canadian Musician magazine column

Great article Merlin. Never thought about Adolph Sax having doubling in mind back in 1841. Looking forward to the next installment.
  5. Rico Reserve Classics

I really like these on my B45 mpc. Using the 3.5+ strength, although I could almost use a 4. They seem to respond better than the Vandoren blue box 3.5's I have played for years. Any other thoughts on these reeds? May have to change my signature soon.
  6. Lil Abner "on the front patio" of the theatre

Here's a fun one to tell to revive this subforum.... We have just completed the opening weekend of a 10 performance run of Lil' Abner. Opening night was Friday, July 9 which went well. Last night (July 10), as I drove to the theatre, I discovered a number of traffic lights that were not...
  7. Don Menza in 'Groovin' Hard

Menza remains one of my favorite tenor players. His solo on Buddy Rich's CHANNEL 1 SUITE recorded at Caeser's Palace way back in '68 is one incredible flurry of notes.
  8. Which alto players inspire you?

#1 for me...Paul Desmond. Then Phil Woods, Johnny Hodges, Marshall Royal. AND...our 1st alto in the community band I play in...Dick Millard. He will be 80 in October and he still has a great sound and technique.
  9. Java Reds

One more update: played a big band gig this afternoon with the Java Reds on tenor. Worked out very well. They are my tenor reed. Time to order 2-3 more boxes. Am also going to try the V12's for alto and the C* They sound like exactly what I need for concert band work.
  10. Java Reds

Well, it may be still early, but I LOVE my tenor sound now with the Java Reds. Don't know if they are going to die quicker than the Green box versions. BUT...they darkened my tone with my metal Berg but still provide the projection I need. SO...at this point I'm a Java Red fan. Will post...
  11. Java Reds

A box of 3-1/2 Reds for tenor arrived today. I'll let you know in a few days how I like them.
  12. Java Reds

Am thinking about trying both the JAVA Reds for commercial demands and the V12's when I need a more classical sound. Would also be interested in hearing the results of trials of each from any of you,
  13. Your favourite works for band?

I remember in college WAY back in the late '70's our wind ensemble played a transcription of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor that took hours of ensemble and sectional work to get through but when we had it, it was indeed a great accomplishment AND a lot of fun. The other memory was when I...
  14. What are some of the shows(and the books in them) everybody has played?

Add CITY OF ANGELS for me coming up, 3 weekends in March. Will be the only reed player. Will play out of book 1 primarily with pieces of 2 and 3. Flute, Clarinet, Alto and Tenor will be the instruments.
  15. City of Angels

The books have arrived. And as I stated before, it looks like primarily reed 1 with pieces of 2 and 3 mixed in as needed. As musicals go, it doesn't look bad from a technical point of view, only a tricky flute passage or 2. The only hard part is that being the only reed, I can't hide. Our...
  16. City of Angels

Well, I guess this show is not too popular here in this forum based on the lack of replys. I got the gig. It's 3 weekends (Friday-Saturday nights, Sunday matinees) in March. Because of budget constraints we are going with a VERY SMALL group. I have the honor of being the only reed player...
  17. Post your pit setups

From Thoroughly Modern Millie A mix of reed books 1, 2, and 3 of Millie.
  18. What's The Best Deal On A Horn You Ever Got?

In addition to my Buescher TT soprano, I also bought my Mark VI tenor in 1979 for $250. And no, it's not for sale.
  19. City of Angels

I know the instrumentation of the reed books per Bret Pimental's website: 1: Piccolo, flute, clarinet, alto saxophone 2: Piccolo, flute, clarinet, alto saxophone 3: Clarinet, tenor saxophone 4: Clarinet, bass clarinet, baritone saxophone I also understand that reed 2 is primarily...
Back
Top Bottom