Search results

1. pete thomas

... is now made in Taiwan

I met Karel, the founder of the new Adolphe Sax & Cie and I believe he is very genuine. Currently he is importing as we know, but has strong plans to build horns in Belgium. I think he will do it to. A small beginning, but he is starting with a product close to the hearts of many saxophone...
  2. pete thomas

e.g. P.Mauriat
  3. pete thomas

I'm looking forward to having a look at these, hopefully they will at the Musikmesse. There was some debate about this company on SOTW, whether it is honourable or not to use that name especially for an imported instrument, though it seems the owner does have plans for a totally "Made in...
  4. pete thomas

A goofy notation question

It's a downbow. Nothing more, nothing less. Sombody has mistakenly left it in when copying a string part across. It could also be used on a guitar part when instructing a guitarist to plectrum downwards rather than upwards, but I would never do that as I celebrrate guitarists who can read at...
  5. pete thomas

Selmer series 9, freshly overhauled All money to charity

Oooops, £550 Mind you I am taking offers so you never know...
  6. pete thomas

Selmer series 9, freshly overhauled All money to charity

This has been kindly donated to me for resale and all the proceeds (apart from shipping costs) will go into my fundraising which is currentlyt buying msiocal eqipment for a special needs school. I am not a proper clarinettist so all i can say is it is overhauled and looks to be great, no...
  7. pete thomas

Focused tone

You need one of these cameras
  8. pete thomas

Miracle Material?

It doesn't do the same job as duct tape. I was introduced to this stuff by Stephen Howard, it's great for some things, he showed me how he'd made an octave pip pad with the stuff.
  9. pete thomas

Chamber V Tip Opening

I'm not a guru, but i think the answer is no. It might be that a high(ish) baffle would often want a larg(ish) tip opening. It might be useful to give us some context behind the question, are you getting a mouthpiece refaced? Thinking of making your own?
  10. pete thomas

My printers (3!!) are all dead

Don't know but the one I have has been brilliant. One thing I notice is that samsung say the toner waste thingy should be replaced with a new one when it's full, we found that it's fine to just clean it out which saves some money.
  11. pete thomas

My printers (3!!) are all dead

I use two printers, an inkjet for good quaility images and a Laser for everyday document printing. The laser is a Samsung CLP 300 which is great and seems really solid, been going for about 6 years no problems. It's colour, but IO rarely use any colour on it as Inkjets are generally better...
  12. pete thomas

Orsi: Rhodium?

Yes, I just looked into Flashblock. As the name suggests, it blocks Flash. I don't understand why anyone would do that, Flash is everywhere and probably still the most cross platform compatible format for video and audio. Or at least it was until the iPad came along! The Flash Player on my site...
  13. pete thomas

Yes, the audio player uses Flash (except for Mobile browsers). Does that mean your add-on is stopping the audio from working?
  14. pete thomas

Yes, me: http://tamingthesaxophone.com/tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece-ppt.html
  15. pete thomas

Yes, I have a few of my PPTs in Rhodium plate. Although it is a precious metal, I think it's currently cheaper than gold or platinum, however the actual plating process is expensive. I'm not sure how that equates to plating a whole saxophone though. I decided to phase out the rhodium plate...
  16. pete thomas

Grafton Acrylic Alto ... In Silver?

Mine has some very slight wear on the C/Eb RH pinky, looks very much like a yellow metal underneath, plus the neck is definitely brass, you can tell from the tenon.
  17. pete thomas

The effects of dynamics on the pitch of reed instruments

I have solved this problem. Just play sharp, it's better than playing out of tune.
  18. pete thomas

Do you mean, are they usually silver plated, and then lacquered over to look copper coloured? No, the normal ones are lacquered brass.
  19. pete thomas

I've seen a Grafton with silver trim, Phill of sax.co.uk owns one. If it is an aftermarket plating job, I'd love to know how the got the bell trim off and back on, or how the plated it without removing it. Would you dare dunk the bell of a Grafton in a tank of acid?
Back
Top Bottom