Search results

1. CHasR

Post your pit setups

I'm simultaneously surprised & relieved, that you dont (apparently) play the pipes Merlin. meaning theres a chance for me yet, in some production requiring these skills ;) I;m also noticing a preponderance of Shure SM 57's in your pics...hmm.
  2. CHasR

WF New People Introductions

what, no bagpipes? :mrgreen: cant possibly qualify as a *true* mania, at that rate...:cool:
  3. CHasR

What types of reeds do you use?

yes both are double reeds for bagpipe chanters. the reed on the left is for the chanter of the Breton BiniouKozh; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL-OkzdyP4Q the reed on the left is for the upper chanter of the Italian Sei Palmi Zampogna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgnjGOcE0Fw oh, & heres a...
  4. CHasR

hey, that's a great act!! Looks like you's are having a blast up there! Immediately this picture came to my mind: Its a clarinet/Bechonnet duo, from an early 1900''s postcard. Bechonnet is a type of French Bagpipe & yeah, they were puttin pipers on postacrds even back then... Accordions are...
  5. CHasR

What types of reeds do you use?

go ahead Merlin mio amico... :) post those 150-1500 reed pics, (lol i got them too!) but I think this picture kinda sez it all about my reed-life:
  6. CHasR

welcome to the forum! I call my pipes the worlds stupidest clarinet section: 1st & 2nd can only play one note, forte, and the bass plays an octave below also forte, & all three let the oboe have the melody (well, I guess theres *some* intelligence in that... ;) ) Ive played Highland pipes for...
  7. CHasR

Should I?

writing music down by hand lets you get inside of the piece in an up close & personal way. When i have to use notation software, I find I spend more time mucking about with the software settings than I do understanding how the notes in the piece all fit together. It's still faster & more...
  8. CHasR

Signed on to flute and oboe lessons (and some serious goals)

OTOH, undergrad can be a damn fine crucible too. make all your experiments & get all your ya-ya's out (aka: "the old college try" ;) ) before things get serious & ya gotta bring back the bacon. This is the time in your musical life to take the risks. At least it was in mine, and thankfully for...
  9. CHasR

Mystery Woodwind ID

gotcha, & that's a perfectly reasonable, plausible theory; sticker is- that this thing is part of a collection along with a whole other lot of exceptional quality late 1800's early- mid 1900's ethnic instruments. I was asked to ID it by someone else, & im pestering them for a larger photo. I...
  10. CHasR

Mystery Woodwind ID

anyone???? It's about...8, maybe 9 inches long. I am totally (as in *totally* ) at a loss.
  11. CHasR

Saxophone through electric guitar amp?

get out. Im using the same goshdarn thing on me pipes. oooooooooooooooo:-o:-o:shock::???: waaaannt....:mrgreen: (thx)
  12. CHasR

it's an improper connection to run a lo z (xlr) mic into a hi z (trs) unbalanced 'line-in' input...impedance mismatch can damage equip in all sorts of wonderfully expensive ways. about impedance matching http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching view xlr connector...
  13. CHasR

One can run anything through anything, provided that the correct equipment is properly used in the hookup. Sax would need either a mic or contact transducer. This would then need to be matched in impedance to the desired input. Sticking a standard dynamic mic in front of a sax , one would...
  14. CHasR

Transposition question..

yep, you got it :) good luck in your endeavours
  15. CHasR

Transposition question..

Hi Eddie :mrgreen: Lets just talk about clarinet, to start. Say (for ex), you play the note "C" on the "Bb clarinet". Go to a piano, and that note you played will actually sound the same note as "Bb" on the piano. Imagine you have an "A Clarinet" also. Play the note "C" on this instrument...
  16. CHasR

No WAY ! wow i had no idea he made bagpipes !:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: cool
  17. CHasR

I think to myself

Well snakeman, ya hit paydirt. :) I Wanna point out first, that none of these instruments are RARE or EXOTIC ,within their own cultural continuum. But they become so when practised beyond their own pale. Some have attained a level of acceptance, 'globally'. Bagpipes: Scotttish Highland, (in A...
  18. CHasR

It's hard to learn flute sometimes...

maybe get a cheap plastic fife? if only to get the emborchure, grip & finger position down? ( i never had any luck with the flute either, fwiw....)
  19. CHasR

I think to myself

"Exotic" is indeed in the eye of the beholder. To me, a sax is a sax is a sax... ;) (ducking & running for cover lol) Shehnai, Duduk, Ciaramella, Khene, Low D whistle, Sei Palmi Zampogna, Launeddas, Egerlander Bock, Veuze, Gudastivri, Ney-Anban... these are the exotic woodwinds... Actually...
  20. CHasR

Growling on Oboe

maybe: "hit one multi/ sing a line below..hit another multi, sing a connecting line in between the tones...hit a third, sing line above" type of approach; two tones always move simultaneously, while the vocal weaves between them or holds a tone... Whatever he did, it was certainly clever.
Back
Top Bottom