Search results

1. bpimentel

Dumping XP for Linux

This is perhaps true from a technical standpoint, but doesn't match my Linux experience at all. The "open source" software culture that is so wholeheartedly embraced by the Linux community means that any decent piece of Linux software has its code looked at and improved by many people who have...
  2. bpimentel

Dumping XP for Linux

Try out a few distributions and see what you like. I switched from Windows to Linux a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier. I used Ubuntu for a while but am now using Linux Mint (Cinnamon edition), which suits my tastes better (and which some people believe has outstripped Ubuntu for...
  3. bpimentel

Signed on to flute and oboe lessons (and some serious goals)

As a college music professor, I echo this. College music departments are full of fun things to do, but sometimes students become "ensemble majors" and end up spending expensive extra years in school because of it. I applaud your enthusiasm but I suggest you touch base with your academic advisor...
  4. bpimentel

Mystery Woodwind ID

I should clarify what I meant by my previous post: there are "souvenir-quality" instruments that seem to be meant to resemble some specific real-life instrument, and some that are invented from whole cloth purely as souvenir items, not based on the design of any instrument in particular. From...
  5. bpimentel

Mystery Woodwind ID

Tough to tell for sure, but it looks suspiciously like the sort of decorative "souvenir" flute that well-meaning relatives bring me from their vacations, that feature a "Made in China" sticker even if the trip was to Peru.
  6. bpimentel

Bought my first professional clarinet!

Don't ask the band director. Ask the clarinet professor. Undoubtedly what every professor means when they say this, myself included, is that you need an instrument of professional quality, not one "marketed" as professional. These are of course not the same thing. It's reasonable for a...
  7. bpimentel

Buying a new instrument for college-level study

You, me, and many, many others. And yet I got a phone call from an incoming student yesterday with "good news" about the great deal he just got on a new instrument. If so, you've got yourself a new student... Good luck.
  8. bpimentel

Can someone Explain this device to me?

An additional thought on instrument difficulty: I played the Ferling 48 Famous Studies on saxophone as an undergraduate student, and on oboe as a graduate student. I was genuinely surprised at the extent to which some of the ones I really struggled with on saxophone were a breeze on oboe, and...
  9. bpimentel

Can someone Explain this device to me?

It always seems to me that the best players, woodwind or brass, are the ones using the least muscular effort. I'm not convinced that a "stronger" embouchure is worth anything. A better-trained, more precisely-controlled one, sure. Full disclosure: I have not tried the Warburton devices. I've...
  10. bpimentel

No-Measurement Mouthpiece Optimization

Then why not tune to the trumpet? Then why not tune to the glockenspiel? Not that I have any reasonable answers on this. But few of the theories I've heard make sense.
  11. bpimentel

Clarinet to Saxophone teaching method

You flatter me, sir. It's the academic in me asking for a "source"--when you claim something is "well-established" in my profession (college professor), you had better be prepared to prove it! My point isn't that there is a specific instrument better than clarinet to start with; my point...
  12. bpimentel

Clarinet to Saxophone teaching method

I can't agree that this is either "well established" or necessarily true. Can you point to a source?
  13. bpimentel

sore lip problem

This. Be certain you're not biting before you do something like having a dentist make permanent changes to your teeth, or even before messing around with cushions or ointments. It seems like there is a common perception that the lower lip is the only thing standing between the teeth and the...
  14. bpimentel

Fingering diagram builder

About 30% Firefox, 30% Safari, 20% IE, 15% Chrome, 5% various mobile.
  15. bpimentel

Done and done. Even using Chrome Frame couldn't solve all the issues. I agree. In this case I tried so hard that I went to the extreme of coding a completely separate site just for IE. Didn't work. IE users make up about 20% of visitors to my website, and that number is slowly but steadily...
  16. bpimentel

This is based on my ongoing efforts to get any of IE 7, 8, or 9 to work. 9 does technically have SVG support, but things are still going wrong--wrong enough that the only viable option was to block it up front. It just doesn't handle SVGs in the way the other browsers do, and even rewriting the...
  17. bpimentel

I do regret that this is the case. If I were smart enough to figure out how to make this thing work with IE, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately IE just operates differently than the other major browsers. "In the lurch" does seem a little dramatic, though. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and...
  18. bpimentel

For those keeping score at home, I've updated the fingering thing, and included a few of the requests from this thread: Full Boehm keywork for clarinet Saxophone "harmonic" key (a la Selmer Series III) Saxophone G-sharp trill Baritone saxophone LH Low A key (you can choose RH thumb, LH...
  19. bpimentel

A couple questions

Interesting questions. On the subject of "doubling" on instruments you don't own: I've had friends(?) say, "Hey, I've got this gig--can I borrow your clarinet? ... and a fingering chart?" This is clearly a situation where the person hasn't paid their dues on the instrument. Not a doubler, in...
  20. bpimentel

Classical solos written for Bari

This is a good starting point for baritone repertoire: http://www.jayeaston.com/Saxophonist_resources/resources_baritone_rep.html Shouldn't your friend be selecting repertoire with his or her teacher?
Back
Top Bottom