Search results

1. LowThudd

Wow, a Red Wood Alto Sax?!?

This is a new one. I've seen wooden necks before, but not an entire sax. I doubt the durability has been established yet. Has an interesting sound, but I think I prefere the punch of metal. Although redwood can be hard as rock, whatever glue used is probably not.
  2. LowThudd

Automatic sax/organ?

Never seen anything like this. What would the control mechanism be? How common are these?
  3. LowThudd

Selmer Tray Pack Alto Sax Clarinet Flute Case

I measured my C-Mel at 24.5" from the bottom of the bow to the top of the tenon. That makes it only slightly longer than most altos. Some alto cases have extra space at the top to accomidate an oversized neck plug. Also, some cases have more room in the bell area than others. Tenors, IIRC are...
  4. LowThudd

Greenback Valentino pads experiences

Makes it alot easier to level the pads when the keys are on the instrument. Must be kinda tough to get them leveled by taking off the key for the adjustment. Whatever works for you though.
  5. LowThudd

I haven't had any marks on the plating at all in repadding a sax, a clarinet and doing repairs on a couple other clarinets. The direct heat is probably easier on the finish than flame, which is an oxidizer. I think the only problem is when the tip is clipped, at that point arcing can be a...
  6. LowThudd

I didn't cut the end off my weller tip yet. I'll have to try that. On small clarinet cups it heats them up well enough as is. On big sax cups, I found that I can touch the two leads to the cup, making contact before the tip. Probably easier to remove the tip. I also have a battery powered...
  7. LowThudd

Selmer Tray Pack Alto Sax Clarinet Flute Case

Saw this on eBay Just wondering if anyone has used this type of case. I am looking for a case for my C mels, and I would love to be able to transport a clarinet in the same case, as I am also minus a case for my B&H this would be perfect. If you have access to one, could I trouble you for a...
  8. LowThudd

Stringy Hot Glue & Micro Pad glue

Thanks guys. I guese it would not work as an emergency repair glue. I guess I'll keep my little hot glue gun and battery powered Weller BP645 solder gun around for emergency repairs. Think I'll invest in a cordless glue gun. I've always wanted one, just couldn't justify it.
  9. LowThudd

Stringy Hot Glue & Micro Pad glue

OK Steve, now I get what your saying. After having taken apart and repadding a couple instruments, some shellac and some hot glue, as well as redoing a couple of my own hot glued pads, I can see the difference. The glue I am using seems to hold fine, but easily scrapes out of the cup with a...
  10. LowThudd

Noblet Silver clarinet...Did I make a good choice?

This was just a throw together, just to get a sound out of the horn. I used what I had available at the time. I do have some hemp twine somewhere, but the cork takes up space and works fine. I'll make a barrel out of copper tubing connections later, if I can't find an original. But this will...
  11. LowThudd

I have two brilharts, a Nilo W Hovey(my current fav.), and the brilhart Special Ebolin that I used in the Easy MPC repair thread. Deffinately easier to play. I am determined to use the vintage hard rubber Noblet MPC with the Noblet horn, but I think the facing is a bit long for me. I'll have to...
  12. LowThudd

I am starting to notice that. I bought 8 'Vintage' MPCs (@$30) to sample, some good some not so good. I am liking the Brillharts. The facings on some of the other 'pieces are just not so great for a beginner like me, but might be nice later. The less usable pieces I am going to practice refacing...
  13. LowThudd

That is kinda what I was thinking. I have no doubt that this Noblet is a nice, decent metal clarinet. But I would be very surprised if someone pays a grand for that one on eBay. Either way, I REALLY love the look, feel and uniquely 'punchy' tone that it has. That and not having to worry about...
  14. LowThudd

Guess I got my $22 worth. :biggrin:
  15. LowThudd

My horns' doppelganger is for sale in Germany for...ALOT! I'm wondering if they will actually get near what they want for it. It looks like my horn is in better condition, minus the missing barrel and case. I have aquired a hard rubber Noblet MPC from around the same era. It is really ashame the...
  16. LowThudd

So I was able to hook a mouthpiece to the horn by cutting a champagne cork to fit between the horn and a spare (Aria?) plastic barrel I got in a lot auction. Not sure what key clarinet the barrel is, but the tenon is MUCH larger than a Bb Boehm. At any rate, it was the perfect size to fit a...
  17. LowThudd

XXX Rated Sax

OK, thanks.
  18. LowThudd

XXX Rated Sax

I am curious about the bottom key guard. I had read only Conn used the "Mercedes" symbol shaped key guard there. I guess this is incorrect? Nice looking horn.
Back
Top Bottom