Search results

1. 2009 must be the year of the Phoenix

As I understand things, Selmer has designated this model as a "Firebird". Kesslers have decided that the firebird is the same thing as a phoenix. It isn't.
  2. 2009 must be the year of the Phoenix

The Kesslers may know saxophones, but they don't know their ornithological mythology. To the best of my knowledge (which isn't exactly extensive in this area), The Firebird is a mythical European bird, whereas the Phoenix is an Asian one. They're two different beasts.
  3. messing around with Audacity

Why, it's worth at least twice the price!
  4. How often do you clean your mouthpiece?

I'll rinse the mouthpiece after each use, if there is somewhere convenient to do it. More thorough cleaning only happens if there is sufficient build up of grot to disgust me!
  5. I rejoined the community band

I'm generally reasonably capable with slightly odd time signatures, but find I sometimes take a while to get "in the groove" with certain dance specific rhythms, eg I often take a little while to adjust to a fast swing in 2 (as mentioned above) if I haven't played any for some time. I've just...
  6. What's your listening medium of choice?

iTunes for me mainly - I have the computer hooked up to my vintage 1976 stereo system (although with AR7 speakers rather than the original AR6, which are a little large for having right in your face). I finally (a few months ago) bought myself a 4GB iPod which I find I mainly use hooked up to...
  7. What are your doubles?

Saxophones: S (not willingly, don't own) A T (main instrument these days) B (don't own) Flute (was originally my main instrument) Recorders SSATB Guitar (if there's not somebody better around, which there invariably is) Tin Whistle & I'm starting to dabble with blues harp.....
  8. Your favourite works for band?

I'm a sucker for the old stuff - Grainger, Vaughan Williams, Holst and the like. I must admit that I have not come across Robert Russell Bennett. Richard Rodney Bennett yes, Robert Russell Bennett no.
  9. I rejoined the community band

Have you noticed that sections with relatively large populations tend to develop more severe "pecking orders" than those with relatively few members? Orchestral string players are probably the worst in this regard (apart from the violists - they know where they fit).
  10. Do Vocals help your playing?

This may not work as intended. Apparently Sir Thomas Beecham was once asked why he would not have women playing in his orchestra. His reply was something like: "If they're ugly the men won't play next to them, and if they're good looking they can't".
  11. WF New People Introductions

Me I suppose I should do a little self-introduction - I joined about a year ago, but then forgot about this forum for rather too long....... I've always been a person who struggled to get away from music, and I think I've now given up trying. I was initally attracted to music by a...
  12. Do Vocals help your playing?

That's interesting Pete. When I was studying my flute teacher and choral director were singing the same tune (at least from the neck down) which was (very basically) keep the throat open, the ribcage out, and support from below that. Cheers, Stefan
  13. Do Vocals help your playing?

Singing has quite a few benefits, some of which are: a) Breathing - singers and wind players should be breathing in the same way, and learning/practising the correct technique for one should be beneficial to the other. b) Reading - go sing in a choir that reads its music (as opposed to...
  14. whos from sotw?

What I like about here is my "Junior Member" title. Can I keep it forever?
  15. Sopranino Recorder, Anyone?

I should play my Moeck rosewood and ivory sopranino a bit more often, because it's one of the nicer instruments I own. I bought it over 35 years ago - just as well, as I couldn't justify buying one now!
Back
Top Bottom