Search results

1. SuperAction80

A new neck for my Selmer Serie I alto?

Now that's the first I've heard of this issue. Of course, considering the fact that these horns are at least 30 years old now, I'd imagine that a good percentage of the SA80's used by players have been through at least one overhaul, and this issue has been addressed. About a decade ago...
  2. SuperAction80

YAS-21 Overhaul

Yeah, that's why "eyeballing" things doesn't work out in the mechanical world. From pictures of the 21 and 52, it looks like they're positioned in nearly the same place. Reality dictates otherwise. I really dig the solution here. Drill out the stock metal domes, and solder spare felt...
  3. SuperAction80

YAS-21 Overhaul

No problem. Nothing that new felts and some sandpaper can't fix.
  4. SuperAction80

A new neck for my Selmer Serie I alto?

A lot of players did complain about the tenor SA80's neck angle, which leads itself to angling the horn in a position that some feel to be uncomfortable. This is usually said by saxophonists who grew up with the Mark VI tenor. The Serie III gold brass neck is far closer to the VI than that of...
  5. SuperAction80

YAS-21 Overhaul

Thanks for the link Pete. Yeah, the 52 key guards have a different cutaway design, and the adjustable bumpers, but the mounting looks about the same. I've come across the guards for about $30, so I may just bite the bullet. Looks like this 21 also had proper adjustment screws added to the G#...
  6. SuperAction80

YAS-21 Overhaul

Sorry for bumping an old Thread, but I caught your overhaul through Google. Very gorgeous looking sax, and I personally love how they play. By any chance, is that a YAS-52 keyguard? I'm currently having work done to an old VITO YAS-21, and was also considering the possibility of modding the...
  7. SuperAction80

Polishing Nickel keys at Home

Great post, and this technique also worked well on my Nickel plated New Wonder. It's true what you say that "Less is more" when it comes to the polishing cream. Steve, have you ever tried "Weiman Royal Sterling Silver Polish"? It's a grit free polish with a floral fragrance and an...
  8. SuperAction80

Otto Link History

"Noted players who played these mouthpieces were Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins. Coleman later switched to a Berg Larsen." Hmmmm...looks like Coleman went from one extreme to another. This is a very cool website.
  9. SuperAction80

Sticky Pads

This works very well for extreme cases. For most scenarios, I've found that micro-grit sandpaper passed against the tone hole is a fairly long lasting fix. Be sure to use only light to moderate pressure whenever you're passing the sandpaper over the tone hole chimney.
  10. SuperAction80

"Practice room" chops

Well said. At this point in my life, I refuse to work with musicians who can not monitor their stage volume. Of course, there are always going to be those rooms that are just acoustically terrible. Fortunately, I've managed to surround myself with musicians who know how to make the best out...
  11. SuperAction80

Ripping from YouTube

Heckelphone, thanks for the link. I was running a line out into a digital workstation in order to rip audio from youtube videos. This site makes my life a lot easier. :)
  12. SuperAction80

whos from sotw?

:lol: You know, I was going to bring that up over there. I had a good laugh everytime I saw one of your posts.
  13. SuperAction80

Leroi Moore Tribute

Youtube is definatly one of the coolest sites to hit the web in the past 10 years. It's also fun to see what you can do with a free program like Windows Movie Maker as well. And yes, for better or for worse...that site has sucked away a lot of my time.
  14. SuperAction80

Post your pit setups

Geeze Merlin, that's quite a collection of horns you have. Suddenly I have the urge to work in a Pit again. My collection isn't nearly as impressive (tenor/alto/soprano/clarinet), but it was still fun to double. I miss the cooperative effort it took to pull off productions like this. I...
  15. SuperAction80

Rock/Blues Recording Session

Yeah, I'm curious to hear that distortion on the Bari tracks. Sounds like a cool idea.
  16. SuperAction80

Leroi Moore Tribute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFZH__LJUes This is a little something I threw together in honor of one of the major reasons why I'm playing today. Enjoy.
  17. SuperAction80

Subbing Sucks

Being a sub is tough, because you are always going to be compared to the guy that you are filling in for. That being said, the more you sub, the easier it gets. The more you spend playing out in different genre's, the more you learn what the standards for that genre are. The good thing is...
  18. SuperAction80

The Golden Rules of Ensemble Playing

:lol: Gandalfe, that is one of the funniest things I've seen in a forum in a while. Don't feel bad, we've all gone through this. OTOH, as bad as some horn sections are, some vocalists are faaaaaaaaar worse by themselves.
  19. SuperAction80

Oh, I'm gonna abuse the heck outta this ...

Sigh...there goes my rent for the month. Thanks for the heads up Pete.
  20. SuperAction80

RIP LeRoi Moore

Well Gandalfe, you're about to hear it again. I would not be playing saxophone today if it were not for this man. It's funny too, as he was not often discussed in these forums, but today I just realized how much of an impact he had on musicians. He was an inspiration for a (currently) young...
Back
Top Bottom