Search results

1. steevihn

Lux Aeterna - Crumb!

I am doing a concert where we'll be playing Lux Aeterna by George Crumb. The wind part is for Bass Flute and Sop Recorder. Have any of you played this? Are there any types of flutes I could use instead of recorder? Or should I just learn the recorder for the piece? Here's a link to the piece...
  2. steevihn

Clark Fobes Mouthpieces

To respond to bobsax, Clark Fobes doesn't focus on his low level inexpensive mouthpieces. I mean, he GIVES his low level pieces away. But if you've got the cash, his higher level mouthpieces are some of the best out there. My Eb, Bb/A, and Bass Clarinet mouthpieces are all his. I also use his Eb...
  3. steevihn

"Top" University Clarinet Studios?

Studio, School, etc. it's all the same, haha. On competency, I was accepted to Eastman, USC, and SFC which were all the "cut-throat" music schools when I applied to colleges right out of high school. But my family said New York was out of the question, USC was too pricey, and SFC just ended up...
  4. steevihn

C-Melody: are YOU worth it?

Sorry about the date, I got my Tenor and C Melody date mixed up! Sorry! It's really hard for me to find a date on it. A few websites are telling me that there was a huge fire at their factory, and a ton of records were lost. I'm pretty sure the horn is from aprox. 1916, mid-run of the series. I...
  5. steevihn

Dr. Robert Spring, one of the premiere Clarinet instructors in the world is one of the main teachers there. I wouldn't really say the entire school is fantastic, but I know the Bob Spring is fantastic, and people come from all around to study with him. I think that ASU also has a few "big-deal"...
  6. steevihn

Lip Injury Prevention?

My embouchure is correct. My private instructor and I have worked to try to discover what the problem is, but we haven't had any sort of break throughs. Maybe my bottom teeth are too sharp? The pressure is "correct". I don't every have any tone production, intonation, or reed issues due to it. I...
  7. steevihn

Non "Brand Name" Flutes?

Thoughts on the more obscure (and hopefully more economically efficient) flute brands and models? Altus, Kessler, Yamaha (I would just like to talk about them for a bit), International Woodwind, Asian Makers (Sankyo, Marimatsu, etc.), and maaaaany more. Mostly professional models? Low B, Open...
  8. steevihn

I'm currently a member of the California Institute of the Arts studio. The school was ranked as the "Number 1 School for Students Majoring in the Arts" (US News or something), but what does this /really/ mean for my studio. As far as I know, the "best" studios are: Arizona State University...
  9. steevihn

Lip Injury Prevention?

As a music student, I'm constantly bombarded with directions to change how I hold and use instruments. As a result of these changes, I feel that I'm even more susceptible to injuries now than ever before. Recently, my inner-lower lip callus has been giving me a lot of trouble. It hurts to play...
  10. steevihn

C-Melody: are YOU worth it?

So while rummaging through my house I came upon a vintage C-Melody Sax (Buescher True Tone aprox. 1968). The horn is desperate need of a overhaul (repad, mending of some bent rods, etc.), and I was wondering is it even worth it? I googled/ebayed the model, and the horn in nearly perfect...
  11. steevihn

A New Type of Saxophone Pad

Maybe this material experimentation with Sax pads could lead some companies to expand their products to other instrument families. I use Valentino Synthetic Master pads on my Clarinets, and LOVE THEM. They're water-proof (great for the wet player), insect-proof (keep those bugs OUTTA THERE)...
  12. steevihn

Lower Key Guards!

Well, the sax is part of the 1960 batch of Mark VI altos. The sax was used pretty extensively by my Grandfather before I got it. The Laquer already has a few spots where it's been messed up because of repairs. I wouldn't really mind since I really have no intention of selling it anytime soon...
  13. steevihn

Lower Key Guards!

This is probably in the wrong discussion group, sorry! )~: So my Mark VI alto has a loose key guard on it. It's the cover for the low C# key. Whenever I play down past a certain point it begins to vibrate probably damaging the body and making some pretty annoying sounds. Does anyone know if...
  14. steevihn

Double-Lip Embouchure

It's all about control! I was told to use it to improve my seal around mouthpieces. But I would never consider playing with it as a substitute for the standard symphonic setup. Although, I do know people who do play with double lip setups and are some of the best players I've ever heard.
  15. steevihn

Bass clarinet - what reed strength do you play?

I'm playing on a Fobes Standard model RR (1.80 mm tip) with #4 Vandoren Traditionals (black box). Lots of room for extended-technique, and general noise with the set-up. Although, when doing pit work I am known to be the King of Fibracell reeds. You don't have to keep them wet, they last a long...
Back
Top Bottom