Search results

1. bobbystern

Kissin' Cousins - 1-2-5, Pentatonics & P4ths

1-2-5s everywhere! I'm seein' 'em in my sleep! This time it's 1-2-5 and it's dear cousins, Pentatonic and Perfect 4th (P4th), that gets our attention. The notes of a Maj. pentatonic scale are formed by two 1-2-5 patterns a whole tone apart (C-D-G + D-E-A = C-D-E-G-A). The close...
  2. bobbystern

1-2-5 Pattern - Coltrane Changes

The 1-2-5 Pattern intrigue continues with this single unit exercise (one 3-note unit per chord, including inversions) over the Cycle of Descending Major Thirds (aka "Coltrane Changes").
  3. bobbystern

Korner Karnataka #3 - "Yagapriya", The Jazz Version

Let's take a look at a very hip sounding scale, Melakarta #31, known as Yagapriya. As you can see, Yagapriya has an unusual interval makeup: 1 1/2 steps - half step - half step - whole step - half step - half step - 1 1/2 steps
  4. bobbystern

Korner Karnataka - Charlie Mariano - Konnakol/Solkattu & Prof. Dave King

One of the legendary alto saxophonist Charlie Mariano's greatest and lasting legacies has been exposing an entire generation of Western musicians (including yours truly), primarily in Europe, to the highly intricate beauties of South Indian (Carnatic) Classical Music culture.
  5. bobbystern

Changing 'Trane's, Part 2

Leaving the dusty little town of Giant Steppes has been no easy task. While sitting in the bar down-the-road-a-piece from the 'Trane Station, known as "The Cycle of Descending Major Thirds", I ran into this demonic looking, but sophisticated gentleman of dubious nobility who introduced...
  6. bobbystern

Changing 'Trane's, Part 1

This week, on our way back from 1-2-5 St., we'll take a little detour to the tiny town of Giant Steppes, where, thirsting for knowledge, we'll descend the stairs to a local establishment known as "The Cycle of Major Thirds" to get a taste of some "fluid" voice leading.
  7. bobbystern

1-2-5 Street, Part 2 - 3 Note Group Combos & Maj7#11

All aboard! Here's Part 2 of our little trip to 1-2-5 Street, this time stopping at the corner of Maj.7#11 Ave, to witness different combinations of two 1-2-5 groupings.
  8. bobbystern

1-2-5 Street, Part 1 - 3 Note Groupings & Min7 (11)

This week, we hop on the subway of your mind and get off at 1-2-5 St., where we'll hang out with a couple of three note groups, co-mingling to form a min7 (11) chord. We don't even need a token, except possibly, a token of your appreciation.
  9. bobbystern

The Augmented Scale as Sub for Melodic Minor Harmony

Here's something I just posted, including a free downloadable exercise / pattern, dealing with the Augmented Scale being used as a sub for the modes of Melodic Minor, which some of you may find interesting. Thanks. Bobby
  10. bobbystern

Get Nutty, Buddy! - X-Centric Pentatonic b6 Modes

The Pentatonic b6 is derived from the 5-6-7-9-(b)10 scale steps of the Melodic Minor Scale (i.e. C Pentatonic b6 = C-D-E-G-Ab, is derived from F Melodic Minor). It can be used, in theory, in any situation which utilizes Melodic Minor Scale harmony. More plus download. Thanks. Bobby
  11. bobbystern

Unchained MM Melody! - Melodic Minor in 4ths

Here's a groovy little line, and free download, based on groups of diatonic 4ths from the Melodic Minor scale.
  12. bobbystern

Transcriptions That Stick! - Dig "Big Nick"!

You're probably talking about Andrew White. He supposedly did over 700 hundred of them. Seems like they are hard to find, though.
  13. bobbystern

Transcriptions That Stick! - Dig "Big Nick"!

Here's a downloadable transcription of John Coltrane's soprano saxophone solo on the original version of his composition "Big Nick", released as part of the album "Coltrane", on the Impulse! label. This is not the Coltrane - Ellington version, and unfortunately I was unable to find a YouTube...
Back
Top Bottom