Search results

1. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

Thanks for the suggestion! I did this and the top notes went way sharp, so I drilled out the narrow section to 9.5 mm (by steps of 0.2mm to keep it on axis). Immediately, the lowest notes became easier to play, and the entire upper octave went slightly sharper. It is getting closer, but needs...
  2. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

As I mentioned in the Thread tárogató Remanufactured Part Deux, I could not resist applying my conical 1:18.5 reamer to my TSO. The initial results were encouraging, so I did some more reaming. Both octaves were sharpened significantly - so much so that I had to pull the mpc out about 1/4...
  3. tárogató Remanufactured Part Deux

JBTSAX; Re: your post of 2-18-2012. Did you ever use the tapered mandrels on your instrument? Did you remove any significant wood to make it conical or did it just need polishing? Does it play with essentially correct octaves? The reason I am interested is that George changed the bore on...
  4. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

It wasn't particularly cheap, but as it is now, it is just what we call a "hanger" .. just hang it above the mantle and knowingly answer your guests who ask, "what is that?" I did some measurements on the TSO (tárogató shaped object). The telescoping gauges available could not reach the...
  5. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

Thanks, Kymarto, for the discussion! I'll continue with the hunt for leaks. All the tonehole rims had chips that were covered by factory original black lacquer - the makers just didn't care. I've built up the rims with rosewood dust and CA, then sanded back flat with fine rotary grindstones...
  6. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

George; After reducing the bore of the mpc with clay until the diameter essentially matched that of the body, the upper octave is much closer to the right pitch. It still requires a lot of lipping-up but it can be done. I'll look through the earlier posts to see what you did to the bore...
  7. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

How to hold a mouthpiece in the lathe. Part 2 of 2 Here is the rest of my article. This photo of the form/PCL/mpc assembly in the lathe shows the mandrel in the chuck, but it is not really inserted into the narrow part of the original bore, because the bore was, at that moment, lined with...
  8. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

How to hold a mouthpiece in the lathe. Part 1 of 2 Thanks for the input on getting the tárogató to play the low notes more easily. There was interest in how to hold a mouthpiece in a lathe, so here is some info on how I managed it. To enable turning a new socket in a soprano sax mpc to fit...
  9. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

No, but you are on the right track - the trick is holding the sort-of-conical mouthpiece. I've written a description, but need to take the photos.
  10. Tuning tárogató with mpc insert.

Tuning tárogató with mpc insert (again) I'm new here and am very interested in this subject. I've played clarinet and sax on and off for 45 years and have just recently found a use for a tárogató. Ebay to the rescue, or so I thought. My unnamed, possibly Romanian tárogató has the same...
Back
Top Bottom