Search results

1. Faces to best friends

Good work, Pete. Julian
  2. Faces to best friends

Pete, if you have to take the dog to a shelter, I hope you take it to a no kill shelter. My wife and I have been rescuing cats for as long as I can remember, and we've found two no kill shelters in our area. Julian
  3. John Coltrane's ... Yamaha?

You're welcome Helen. And thank you! Julian
  4. Another "special" Ornette Coleman's axe ?

It just seems to me that the nature of music is to be all over the place these days. I think that when it comes to the larger commercial money making ensembles, no one is safe these days. It used to be just the reed players. You were expected to double. "Man, bring your alto, tenor, bari, sop...
  5. John Coltrane's ... Yamaha?

I remember this horn and many years ago spoke with John's Cousin Mary on this subject. My cousin and I were very ardent Coltrane fans. Purchased every new Coltrane issue and listened to it until the grooves wore out. We bought his new release which was called "Live In Japan" I think. We took...
  6. Another "special" Ornette Coleman's axe ?

I also agree with you, Jacques. And I also agree with the Broccoli guy. But I'm also thinking that the question of choice between the low Bb and low A baritone is sort of out of our hands at this point. At least for the working musician. Case in point. I was called by a producer friend to do a...
  7. Another "special" Ornette Coleman's axe ?

You're welcome, Jacques. I had an encounter with another Selmer low A alto just a week or so ago. I was doing a rehearsal in preparation for a composer's gig in NYC, and I noticed that the alto player's horn had a slightly different neck and that there was a strange arm running horizontally...
  8. Another "special" Ornette Coleman's axe ?

Beautiful! Julian
  9. Faces to best friends

Groovekiller, sorry to hear about Taco. I know how painful your feelings are right now, I've had to deal with the exact same feelings. My condolences, and try to take solice in the thought that Taco had peace and love in his life. Julian
  10. Dave Brubeck

His music playing all day today on wkcr-fm at 89.9 on the dial in the NYC area, or at www.wkcr.org on the internet. He was a beautiful person, and his music speaks for itself. Julian
  11. Conn 10M Naked Lady

I had one when I was a kid, very much like this one, but my fork Eb wasn't corked shut. I loved the fork Eb because it allowed me to play double stop Eb's which was popular when playing R&B and rock solos back then. I never had a problem with the fork Eb even though the split fingering Eb wasn't...
  12. What to do if I get offered to play professionally for the first time

My advice is to go to where the actual gigs are taking place. Talk to the musicians, the bandleaders, and the conductors. Offer to sub for a non paying rehearsal, for instance. Musicians often will sub out a freebie rehearsal to take a paying job that day. Expectations might not be as high in...
  13. Faces to Names

CHasR, if you're from Philly, I'm sure we may have mutual aquaintances. The photo was taken by Pope's manager one night when the Saxophone Choir was appearing at the Blue Note and she was nice enough to send it to me. Julian
  14. Faces to Names

No Helen, I'm not from Brooklyn although I seem to spend a lot of my time working there. I'm originally from the Philadelphia area. I worked Aretha's show a few times, don't remember seeing any doppelgangers there. But Ray sure sounds like an interesting guy.......and handsome, too! Hardy...
  15. Faces to Names

I'm on my way to the stage. At the Blue Note in NYC. Julian
  16. Car Tawk

Thanks guys. I promised Ed that I would post a pic when I attended this show back in '08, so I guess the four year delay makes me the king of procrastination! I've owned the car since 1978, so it's really become a member of the family. We've just now returned from showing the car last...
  17. RIP Byard Lancaster

We worked a lot of gigs together over the years. When I first met Byard back in the '70s, he was playing a new Buffet SDA alto with a white Brilhart mpc with no neckstrap. Got a big, fat, wild sound. Byard always marched to the beat of his own drummer, played his own way. He could play a...
  18. Car Tawk

Here is a picture of my 1969 Buick Skylark Custom convertible. Ms sideC and I are pulling onto the show field of the Buick Club of America National meet in Flint, Mich. I had just cleaned the car up after the 750 mile drive from New Jersey. Julian
  19. New Mark VI

Eye candy. It's good to see one of these horns that doesn't have the enormous amount of wear that's normal for a 60 to 40 year old professionally used saxophone. My tenor is slightly older than this vintage and is in near mint condition ( I don't play much tenor) but is nowhere as fresh as...
  20. eBay Mark VI special

Sanborn is crying as we speak.....
Back
Top Bottom