Search results

1. kymarto

Can you identify this Rudall Carte model flute?

That's a dandy. RC experimented with so many systems...I have a feeling it is not A=440. Might be high pitch or Db. Just a thought
  2. kymarto

unmarked oboe

Ring key oboes like this are the most basic, and generally considered beginners' instruments. This one is neither auto nor semi-auto. You have the side octave key for the higher second octave. This one is really basic, with no side F, nor a bunch of the extra gizmos on the conservatory system.
  3. kymarto

Video: Is this a Tárogató?

Just a note here. I am now the proud owner of three Stowasser tárogatós (just sold a fourth) and a Hammerschmidt. It took some work in adjusting toneholes, but I now have them all very well in tune, on par with my modern soprano sax. The most important thing is to have the mouthpiece volume...
  4. kymarto

Is it a Real Selmer Or Not?!

Looks very real to me. A five digit horn, very desirable. Strange that it doesn't have a Selmer stamp on the bell. Maybe some of the real Selmer experts can weigh in?
  5. kymarto

Why Bb?

There is an important distinction between a conical bore (oboe, sax) and a reverse conical bore (simple system flute, recorder). A reverse cone acts as a cylinder, but through acoustics which you probably don't want to know, makes some of the high notes more secure. It's interesting to note that...
  6. kymarto

Couesnon double walled metal clarinet

As to the advantages of a double-wall clarinet: there is really only one, and that is resistance to thermal changes. The air space in between the two walls acts as an insulator--think thermos bottle. The old Haynes double-wall clarinets actually had a valve into which the player could blow warm...
  7. kymarto

Hammerschmidt tuning solutions

I can tell you a little about what pips do and don't do. What exactly are these intonation problems? Are we talking mostly about mistuned octaves? If so which notes? If there are consistent mis-intonational trends, such as getting progressively sharper or flatter as you go up or register...
  8. kymarto

That doesn't look quite right ....

Yeah, well if you write to them you might also mention that they have a Modele 22 tenor pictured and are calling it a curved soprano: http://www.selmer.fr/histzoom.php?id=55
  9. kymarto

Albert/Boehm/Oehler for Bepop Jazz and Classical?

A lot of musicians in Europe still play Albert system. My tárogatós are Albert, and for me the main issue is the F, But on the other hand, it is the same problem or non-problem on the oboe. It's always a question of your next note down, if to E you use the standard fingering, if to D you have to...
  10. kymarto

3D Printed Clarinet Bells

Coming soon will be printed bodies, in which small changes in bore geometry, hole size, placement, chimney height, etc. can easily be tested before committing to major tooling.
  11. kymarto

Polish that bore!

No, it's apples and oranges. A spoiler or a cork in the bow reduces the bore diameter at that point, so that is an actual perturbation, which affects the nodes of the standing wave. There is a wall boundary effect in which molecules of air are slowed near the wall, losing energy to viscous...
  12. kymarto

Polish that bore!

I agree that if a horn is bright to begin with, you may not want to make it brighter. The added efficiency is not really a big deal, because generally by blowing a little harder you can get to the same level. Some people might like the extra resistance. On the other hand, I've played tárogatós...
  13. kymarto

Polish that bore!

Just thought I'd pass this on. I recently got a new Stowasser tárogató, which turns out to be quite different than my other one. Luckily the top tenons match so I can use the same mpcs on both. The new one has a narrower bore, and so as expected it offers a bit more resistance and has a...
  14. kymarto

Schuster Co. Piccolo made in Germany

It looks very well made. Many of those German piccs (and flutes) were made by the same craftsmen who made the Uebels and Hammigs. That being said, I'm a bit suspicious about the length. My Hammigs measure 26 cm sounding length, and his is 25.4 (if that measurement of 10 inches is accurate). 0.6...
  15. kymarto

Acoustics of palm key tonehole placement

That's a good question and I don't have a ready answer, but I'll bet it has to do with the fact that the tube gets shorter the impedances get weaker, so perhaps at that point reed effects start to come into play--that and perturbations introduced by the mpc definitely are in play in a shorter...
  16. kymarto

Saxophone Reed's vibrations

Been sorta busy--since October I have traveled all over the place filming. As to this acoustics business: the reed vibrates at the frequency of the fundamental. It is a non-linear generator that gets its cue from the strongest tube impedance, generally speaking. Partials are potentials in the...
  17. kymarto

The way I understand it is this: any perturbation in the cone changes the impedances in the tube and throws the partials off from their integer relationships to the fundamental. Since any sounding note MUST have the partials in integer relationship (mode locking) what happens is that what Benade...
  18. kymarto

It is one man's fantasy. The wave does not bounce from wall to wall. It is a compression wave.
  19. kymarto

looking for information on H. Pinder English Horn.

Well, I am not a double reed expert, but here's my comment: First, it appears to be a nicely made horn, most probably cocobolo or rosewood, not grenadilla. This has Boehm system keying, but not full conservatory, and it is also is lacking some of the linkages and trill keys that are included on...
  20. kymarto

1943 Conn my baby, how much is she worry for insurance purpose

Honestly, $10K is for a perfect Selmer Mk VI. Is this horn is pristine, I would guesstimate $5K tops. Perhaps a dealer could chime in here.
Back
Top Bottom