Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. Chris J

Hazardous Exposure to Noise: in concert band setting

Acclimatisation is important. Use for personal practice first, and possibly with a dB meter in front of you so you can make sure you are not playing louder to compensate for the different feedback you get. Also, the ear plugs do not need much attenuation properties to turn the sound level from...
  2. Chris J

The ceiling height will help a lot. As in the discussion document, doubling the distance will half the energy, and if the ceiling bounces sound back, the higher it is, the weaker the reflected sound will be. That also goes for walls, and we rehearse in a drama studio that has side curtains we...
  3. Chris J

Has any forum members' groups looked at noise exposure in rehearsal and performance? What level of awareness and understanding is there in your membership? What actions have your group taken? I have been looking into the levels of noise endured during rehearsal, and have prepared a discussion...
  4. Chris J

Pro Instruments?

Definitely the first. And other reasons. I have bought to repair and sell, but the reason I bought them in the first place is that they were interesting, as well as a potential profit. Examples might be a pair (Bb/A) of Full Boehm Selmer Centered Tones; pair of R13s going cheap as they were...
  5. Chris J

Pro Instruments?

In the cycle of buy, restore, sell - I am only two thirds successful...
  6. Chris J

beginner question - long skinny fingers!

A standard clarinet should be fine, and there are many very good second hand instruments in your 1K price range. Less risky is going to a store that has second hand stock for you to try a few, assuming as a beginner / intermediate, you already play to some extent. You may not get the bargain you...
  7. Chris J

Pro Instruments?

Pro! My grandfather died and left me some money. He was a carpenter, and I wanted to buy something wooden, and I had wanted to learn to play clarinet. I knew I could make a noise on a clarinet from trying a friend's, but it would have been a painful 'playtest' for the shop owner. I walked away...
  8. Chris J

Gold "crayon" for recoloring engraved logos???

I don't know what Ferrees crayon is made of. I use a wax based product (Liberon wax filler stick), so the heat helps settling it in to the imprint.
  9. Chris J

Gold "crayon" for recoloring engraved logos???

I use masking tape to limit the area for rubbing the colour on Carefully pick out old fill with a needle Heat the area gently - I use a hot air gun on a low setting. A hair dryer would work but must be gentle Apply crayon Heat gently over crayon Rub over the indents with the side of a large...
  10. Chris J

Who here has received a Covid Vac? What was your experience?

I was Pfizer double vaccinated by January 9th. In UK the organisational level of the NHS is brilliant. I may be biased, though, I work within the NHS and often run vaccination sessions... Expect a sore arm. The key question is not 'which is your dominant arm' but 'what side do you sleep on' -...
  11. Chris J

What is the significance of your Avatar?

Peter Brighouse may have been referencing T.S. Eliot (or referencing Mungo Jerry, who referenced Eliot!). In his poem collection, 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' one of the poems is called 'Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer' It is that poem which inspired the band to call themselves Mungo...
  12. Chris J

Covid-19 Discussion

The Pfizer version is the one that has to be stored at -70 to -80 deg C. They are shipped in batches of 975 doses (195 vials of 5 doses each) which once opened, must all be used within 3 and half days. Once reconstituted, each vial must be used within 6 hours. Although each vial is said to have...
  13. Chris J

Unknown symbol

In Musescore (free notation software) it seems to be labelled as an arpeggio but might mean a gliss in this context. Chris
  14. Chris J

Yamaha digital sax

I think one of the differences in functionality between this and the WX5 is that the YDS150 does not have any pitch bend at the mouthpiece. Chris
  15. Chris J

Couesnon Monopole

Here is a shot of the Couesnon awards showing the ones mentioned above And a photo of my gold plated alto showing the 1900 accolade
  16. Chris J

Couesnon Monopole

I think the grenade is a grenade as in incendiary device rather than a fruit. Couesnon has a very long history in supplying military music groups (Republican Guard). Compare it to the emblem of the Grenadier guards - one of the oldest regiments of the British Army...
  17. Chris J

Covid-19 Discussion

I have also used software called Reaper to put together this for some of our wind band.... https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4gdo09gkqrco4f/76%20Trombones%20final.m4v?dl=0 Chris
  18. Chris J

Covid-19 Discussion

The iPhone / iPad app Acapella has kept me busy musically - I need the distraction from work, which is also busy! Some idea of what it does..... https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz8glih222skkmv/Baby%20Elephant%20Walk.MP4?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/xk02tc15qex85tw/Moon%20River.MP4?dl=0...
  19. Chris J

Should I fix this old A. Fontaine metal clarinet, or turn it into a lamp?

Given the original post was 6 months ago, I guess the instrument may already be illuminating a room. A. Fontaine was a student line of Couesnon, which made some nice metal clarinets. The only argument against this would be if A. Fontaine were a company already in existence, taken over by...
  20. Chris J

Badly Explain Your Hobby

Seriously wronging, then righting writing (Hobby of dismantling to components and then restoring vintage fountain pens)
Back
Top Bottom