Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. tictactux

Its gross but spit blocking the reed?

How long are you playing? (in years, not per session). I had this problem too in the beginning - having something in my mouth automatically triggered the spit glands. This will pass after a few weeks. In the meantime, whenever there's a rest in your piece, try to swallow whatever liquid has...
  2. tictactux

Looking at mics

How'bout getting something along the lines of a Zoom H1? You can used it independently (record directly to .wav or .mp3) or hook it up to your computer as an USB microphone. I found its recording quality more than adequate for my needs.
  3. tictactux

What is the difference between a student clarinet and a professional one?

I just say that "pro" instrument have more work in them as student instruments do. In student instruments, the "it's good enough now" point comes earlier in time during the manufacturing process than with professional instruments. Also, some less important steps are omitted, cheaper pads and...
  4. tictactux

HELP Computer is running - monitor says no signal

Find a replacement* monitor and hook it up, or attach a laptop* to the monitor. *) in a "known to be working" state. Does the computer make some noise (whirring harddisk, self-test-beep) or do the keyboard LEDs flash shortly when being booted? Did you reseat the cables?
  5. tictactux

How long should pads last? And should I repad or buy a new clarinet?

A full repad of a clarinet costs me about two hours' work (provided the keys don't rattle and such) which translates to $140. But usually it's not just installing pads, it's taking care of everything that aged along with the pads - the keys may have play, some damper corks may be lost, a...
  6. tictactux

Conn clarinet post locking screws

You may also try an R/C model shop - they carry many types of grub screws for servos, set collars etc etc.
  7. tictactux

Montreux clarinet?

Yes, that looks a whole lot better.
  8. tictactux

Montreux clarinet?

You want to run away from that specific instrument anyway. It screams "CSO" all over the place. You'd be better off with a $30 Bundy or Vito off the Auction Sites. (hint: as you're in the UK, look for B&H 400 or Corton clarinets - they're Amatis, from the 70s, and they have really good wood and...
  9. tictactux

Montreux clarinet?

It *may* be a Rauber (aka Selmer Montreux) instrument, or it simply may be a phantasy name as often used by importers.
  10. tictactux

Tuning in an ensemble

You forgot one (important) point in the management summary: LISTEN. I think this ist the most important thing to know: You're always on the verge of being out of tune re the rest of the group. Don't blame your instrument. Blame your ears, and yourself, for not being attentive enough to adapt...
  11. tictactux

Fipple head / lip plate

A first prototype - works. :-)
  12. tictactux

Fipple head / lip plate

Yeah, I should have been more specific - something non-scratchy that can be attached to the original lip plate.
  13. tictactux

Fipple head / lip plate

Bear with me - I suck at flutes... (even more so at piccolos) Okay, so I have an increasing amount of flutes and piccolos I have to service. While basic flute work is relatively straightforward (let's not get into details here) I naturally arrive at a point where I have to play-test them, and...
  14. tictactux

Soundcard advice

(back to the original question) For what it's worth, eg the Zoom H1 can be used independently, or as an USB microphone (which does the analog-digital conversion for you), hence you don't have to rely on your (built-in) audio card's accuracy. Per the output, I found out that most sound cards...
  15. tictactux

Quality cheap Eb Clarinet?

From own experience, a Bundy eefer is, from a price/performance standpoint, hard to beat. I once had a "Woodwind"-brand plastic eefer, and it was so-so, but only after quite a bit of adjustments (which, when done by a repair person, easily will eat your "profit" from buying a cheap honker). So...
  16. tictactux

Mazzeo

I have a Bundy. The mechanism as been deactivated as there was an adjustment screw, spiral spring and ball (?) missing in the setup as I bought it. But the the extra arm still is *somewhere*. :-)
  17. tictactux

Flatulence on Bass Clarinet low A - What could be the cause?

What model is your bass? Has it been serviced before you got it? Do other players have the same problem? Could be that the G key (one hole down from the A) is not opening enough, or that the Ab key (on the left side seen from playing position) is not sufficiently sprung shut. Remove the bell...
  18. tictactux

Tone Issue Ligature or Horn Based?

could as well be that your instrument needs some servicing - you know, some minor leaks or other issues formed and you're compensating for them with more grip or different embouchure, resulting in a cramped tone or otherwise unsatisfactory playing experience.
  19. tictactux

Xaphoon aka the bamboo sax

if you're interested about making kids interested in music, have a look at Hanson's chalumeau... Here's the link.
  20. tictactux

VMI Manufaktur

oh, I always thought that would be an acronym for "Verily Mediocre Instruments". ;-)
Back
Top Bottom