Search results

1. metbysax

Leblanc Paper Clip Contra Bass Case Advice

Thanks. Brook Mays does not offer the contra case any more and the one from reed and squeak is for the two piece contra, not the paperclip. It's looking more and more like I will be going with an Altieri gig bag.
  2. metbysax

Leblanc Paper Clip Contra Bass Case Advice

Hey all: I have just acquired a Leblanc paper clip BBb contra bass clarinet. I sent it to South Florida Horns and Scott Ankrom did a fabulous job restoring this thing to its former glory. It is satin silver plated with a gold wash bell (much like a vintage saxophone), NOT the usual nickel...
  3. metbysax

Anyone else play a Wells as their principal 'piece?

Update: I have received the Wells back from Dave Spiegelthal and it is playing even better than before! Not quite as reed finicky. It looks real pretty too! I just picked up a Stowell Wells and Schneider piece on Ebay that I like even more! Big, lively, open ringing sound that I can also...
  4. metbysax

What is your Clarinet setup ?

I play an early 80's Buffet R-13. I have Fobes barrels in 65, 66, and 67 lengths. My two favorite mouthpieces are a early 1960's Ithaca Bay and a Wells mouthpiece with a very peculiar shaped window, kinda like a keyhole slot. I play Vandoren v12's in 3.5 or 4 depending on chops strength and a...
  5. metbysax

Rico Reserve

In my studio, I teach predominantly classical saxophone. For that application, I have switched to Rico Reserves. I have a number of advanced students who have as well. The seem to be a bit harder than Vandorens. I play on a reworked C* from the '60's and blue box 3.5s work well. In Rico...
  6. metbysax

What are some of the shows(and the books in them) everybody has played?

Let's see I have directed: South Pacific Little Shop of Horrors Pirates of Penzance The Boyfriend Man of LaMancha Pippin Jesus Christ Superstar How to Succeed Godspell Tommy Children of Eden Sound of Music Secret Garden Oliver Cabaret Footloose Jekyll and Hyde Is There Life After High School...
  7. metbysax

Doubles, doubles, doubles

A 9" paint roller will stuffed in the bell work as well for low D.
  8. metbysax

beaucoup de alto flute!

Sometimes that is preferable to having them aim those damn things into the back of your head if they are sitting directly behind you.
  9. metbysax

What is your piccolo setup?

I finally have the Zentner I had been desiring. 8-)
  10. metbysax

Eefer Madness!

I have just acquired an H Freeman e flat clarinet... It is a Buffet in H Freeman clothing. No serial number. But unmistakable Buffet key work and sound. Played it on my first gig last night, and eeked out the G4 3 times last night in Crazy for You reed 2 book. This first time I did, the guy...
  11. metbysax

Anyone else play a Wells as their principal 'piece?

Hey all : Just out of curiosity, I am wondering if any other members play a Wells mouthpiece as their principal mouthpiece. I have grown quite fond of an unmarked Wells mouthpiece with the keyhole shaped window. This mouthpiece was a major symphony orchestra player's before I purchased it...
  12. metbysax

Sax Neck Straps

Me too. Love them.
  13. metbysax

What are you practicing today?

FLUTE and PICC: Scales /Arpeggios Taffanel and Gaubert Marquarre 3rd Octave Filas 90 Top Register Studies Etudes Demerssman 50 Melodic Studies TENOR SAX: Teal Saxophonist's Workbook Frackenpohl Sonata Working out the Houlik Classical mouthpiece I got on Thursday. :)
  14. metbysax

whos from sotw?

qwerty on SOTW. metbysax is my name here and also my ebay ID.
  15. metbysax

Describe your practice space

I am fortunate enough to have a nice space to practice.
  16. metbysax

Beta Blockers for Nervousness?

I have been taking proponolol (a beta blocker) for about a year now, as a general anxiety preventative. I have noticed a big difference in my anxiety level during rehearsals and gigs. I used to be one of those guys who would make a small mistake and let it snowball into 7 or more larger...
  17. metbysax

What is your piccolo setup?

I just had my YPC-62 repadded and it plays great. Still on the hunt for a used Zentner. Hesitated last weekend on one on ebay and am kicking myself. Good luck with the 62, Merlin.
  18. metbysax

Is there really a stand-out student or doubling flute?

I think a lot depends on your budget. I don't think you can wrong with Yamaha flutes. I owned a 385 for a while. Then a 581, now an 881. The old 581's and 584's are real values, they were such good flutes, that Yamaha changed the model number to the 684 and started charging a lot more money...
  19. metbysax

What are your doubles?

In score order: Picc Flute Recorder Alto Recorder Alto Flute* E flat Clarinet B flat Clarinet A Clarinet* Bass Clarinet Soprano Saxophone Alto Saxophone Tenor Saxophone Baritone Saxophone Bass Saxophone* *Instruments I have gigged on, but do not own. I own an oboe, but have not gigged on...
  20. metbysax

What is your Flute setup

Yamaha 881. This is Yamaha's solidsilver, handmade soldered tone hole flute. In line G, split E, B foot. Yamaha CY headjoint. Looking for an EC headjoint.
Back
Top Bottom