Search results

1. Not really sure my clarinet is working properly

None yet. I suppose I should ping her again.
  2. Not really sure my clarinet is working properly

I find that people have lots of resources if they use their noggin. Case in point, it occurs to me that our son's scoutmaster's wife plays clarinet in an orchestra. I'm sure she'll look at the clarinets.
  3. The pyramid of clarinets

Ok, the hated thread all newbs start. Here's the deal. I'm likely looking at an overhaul on my Normandy or Noblet. The overhaul will likely cost more than either of these clarinets is worth. What is the general order of progression of the clarinet models and brands with respect to quality? I...
  4. LeBlanc Symphonie

I know one Normandy (ie?) that does!
  5. Not really sure my clarinet is working properly

I played a little last night. There seems to be a constant-volume hiss. It's overpowering if I try to play quietly. That might be the clarinet, might be the reed, might be the player. I am betting it is all 3. I played the Noblet a little to A/B them. It wasn't much better. I also tried 3...
  6. Sweat wearing away key plating?

Perhaps you can score a beater clarinet, remove the keys, and have them clear-coated professionally. Perhaps then you can see if they feel acceptable to you. If you know someone who paints cars you're golden.
  7. Not really sure my clarinet is working properly

After so many years of not playing it is hard to know if my horn is working. Sometimes I seem to have to blow pretty hard to make it play. That could be the new reed, though it's a Vandoren 2 1/2 with an hour of playing on it now. The clarinet seems inconsistent. Sometimes, right about...
  8. Favorite Ligature and affects on tonal qualities

I'm using a nylon Luyben model. Screws are on the top. The lig has 4 posts that pin the reed against the mpc.
  9. Pics of my dad's late 40s / early 50s Normandy

No, the case is long gone. I seem to recall it being relatively small, with the case bulging where the "bell" piece (lol what's that called!) fit. I also seem to remember it was covered in a burlap-like material, and was tan colored. The case was in very bad shape otherwise we wouldn't have...
  10. Pics of my dad's late 40s / early 50s Normandy

..are in my profile.
  11. dads clarinet 1

dads clarinet 1

12. dads clarinet 2

dads clarinet 2

13. dads clarinet 3

dads clarinet 3

14. Comments and questions on "The Mouthpiece Review - reviewing a wide variety of mpcs"

I mean, .5mm in dia is the difference, more or less, between the large and small bore mpc's as described above. I haven't a clue what the expansion would be.
  15. Comments and questions on "The Mouthpiece Review - reviewing a wide variety of mpcs"

If we're daying .5mm of bore diameter has profound effects, then I bet the mpcs expanding in the heat (as warm air is blown through it) has an effect too. So if you're playing in a warmer auditorium, or climate, you'd change your mpc to match?
  16. Just played for the first time in years

I'm not sure I'd want to be in a band that would have me...
  17. Just played for the first time in years

I got my dad's clarinet out, bought a couple of Vandoren 2 1/2s last night, and played for the first time in years. Except for some intonation issues, sight reading difficulties, poor tone, forgotten fingerings, and terrible phrasing, it sounded great! :lol: My son came home from school...
  18. Help me replace my mouthpiece

The wooden Noblet seems to be in excellent shape. I need to play on it a while. My son didn't like it - it could be there's a setup problem.
  19. Hunleth alto sax

Awesome! Thanks!
  20. Help me replace my mouthpiece

Well there seems to be a happy ending. I got out the clarinets I bought off ebay (yes, bad idea) for my son. One is a wooden Noblet of unknown vintage. The other is a plastic ("resotone" :lol:) Normandy. I had no idea they made a non-wood Normandy or I would not have bought it. Anyway...
Back
Top Bottom