Search results

1. Stephen

Are vintage instruments practical for everyday use?

Some might disagree that spending so much on a ligature is necessary to produce a good sound on the horn. Have a look at this interesting video.
  2. Stephen

Overtones Question

It's not a ligature on the Courtney Pine photo. He's playing an EWI (e-wee). The mouthpiece (or "bite piece" - the teeth usually hold both sides of the piece) is slotted into the front of the EWI. It's a hair band, normally used to tie up the dread locks, just there for safe keeping and "show".
  3. Stephen

YAS-21 Overhaul

That's some apprenticeship. :) I've always said that it's the quality of your experience (and not the length of it) that produces the skill. I would also welcome a "before" shot if you have one.
  4. Stephen

How Much do Music Artists Earn?

I've just discovered this thread, so apologies for the tardy post. But the above quote fits closely my own forthcoming situation. I am expecting a UK teacher's pension in precisely 11 months and 2 weeks time (we are able to retire at 60 currently on full pension). I actually gave the...
  5. Stephen

Overtones Question

**Strangely enough I have had 2 experienced sax players/teachers working with me for a year and try as I might (at least 2 hours practice a day, every day) I'm still not able to get a consistent sound. :( Maybe I should put an EWI on my Christmas wish list. Here's a shot I took of Courtney...
  6. Stephen

Overtones Question

Thanks for the cheat tips - I have ordered the book. Much appreciated :)
  7. Stephen

Overtones Question

Thanks to Kymarto and John for both a theoretical and a practical approach to this issue. I'll work on it! :)
  8. Stephen

Overtones Question

No, I'll look it up. Thanks for the top tip on top tones. :)
  9. Stephen

Overtones Question

I've been practicing overtones on the alto sax today. For some fundamentals, I find it easier to get the 2nd harmonic (the 5th above the octave) rather than the octave note (1st harmonic). For example, when I play Bb as the fundametal, I get a 2nd octave F (5th line) and can;t get the first...
  10. Stephen

Woodwind Forum on Facebook

Great idea - I've applied (with my full name). :)
  11. Stephen

G# Sticking - Tried Everything except changing the pad

Thanks again. I'm fairly sure that was the screw I adjusted, it's on the LH side of a short horizontal post that goes down when the RH keys are depressed. What looks like black rubber is protruding from it, and that is what pushes the G# key down. I tried them all again and they play clearly...
  12. Stephen

Useful Resource - and Transposition Question

I have stumbled across "Songmaven", and it looks like it could be a very useful resource for those who don't know of it already. This is a link to the home page. Among the tools are a downloadable set of MP3 blues backing tracks (which are also directly playing via an audio widget on the...
  13. Stephen

In another post, I mentioned that I had mistakenly adjusted the screw on a post directly above the G# key. This, in turn, made the bell notes difficult to play (the low B and Bb became muffled squeaks and the low C and C# were very "choked". I put the screw back to where it was originally and...
  14. Stephen

I was hoping to hear from you John - thanks for the input. I doubt I'd feel confident to remove the key, without a "walk-through" on video, made really slow and simple! It would make it easier to check the tone hole though, as you mentioned. As for the spring, I wouldn't know where to start...
  15. Stephen

Changing Reed Strengths

That's interesting, in a lexicographic kind of way. Was that another make of reed or did Vandoren change the spelling of their name?
  16. Stephen

Following on from a post in another thread... I have a sticky G# key on a Bauhaus Walstein alto sax, (Phosphor bronze with improved action). the sax is only 1 year old and the pad looks clean and intact. It's started sticking recently and is getting progressively worse. I cleaned the pad, on...
  17. Stephen

Feels like my Embouchure is getting weaker, not stronger

I have Naptha, in my "saxophone tool kit" (mostly "cleaning kit") and I have cleaned the key a few times. I used it again today and it's playing quite well now. How long it was stay that way is anybody;s guess, but it does seem to be sticking quite regularly lately. Is that the same pad as...
  18. Stephen

Culture Shock

Bummer, I was so sure my light-bulb moment would increase my "thanks" quota by 100%. I should really learn to read all the way down a post! :)
  19. Stephen

Definitely G (3rd line), first 3 fingers of left hand, down. (Sounding more like "Blackhawk Down") when I blow it sometimes. But nice and smooth today, just the slow G#.
  20. Stephen

RED-FACED CONFESSION TIME: I noticed a small piece of tissue under the octave key pad yesterday, after I had washed out the crook and dried it with tissue. Once removed it played a lot better, but not perfectly. This morning, with a new Vandoren (red) 2 reed on, I haven't heard it motor-boating...
Back
Top Bottom