Search results

1. JfW

I'm not dead, yet.

Yeah, the Quadras weren't the best looking, nor were they the worst. I had owned three 950s at one time, two with PPC upgrades and one had a full GIG hard drive from like 1993. I sold two that were working with a for $200 each several years ago. Late 2022 I sold one that was broken for over...
  2. JfW

ChatGPT / Artificial Intelligence

I've done some art with it a few weeks ago. https://creator.nightcafe.studio/creation/2wV5F6a1F5RDpjUqPwJS I plugged in something like "Young PeeWee Herman as the Statue of Liberty". I don't remember what filter I used, but I post it now in honor of him.
  3. JfW

The Big Iron

Whatever it is, I'm sure my cat doesn't want one.
  4. JfW

What's The Best Deal On A Horn You Ever Got?

Some woman sold me a Yamaha Allegro clarinet for $50 and the husband threw in a Yamaha electric guitar for free.
  5. JfW

Hi from the Eastern NM, US

You have an F Messo Alto and a Contrabass saxophone?
  6. JfW

Identification request. I'm not exactly certain what this is.

Thanks! It's kind of a funny animal. Dark and growly sounding....
  7. JfW

Identification request. I'm not exactly certain what this is.

I don't see a country of origin on it. Its engraving is similar to an Orsi stencil I have, but the similarities rapidly depart from there. Matching SN on neck and G#. The brand "Olympian" is scratched on the bell where you would expect the logo, but it's so light and sloppy it looks like it...
  8. JfW

Yani 901 pad replacement.

I hate to be "that guy", but if you have to ask what you should do in this case, I'd recommend you not repad a professional saxophone on your own.
  9. JfW

please help me identify this alto saxophone

Damn impressive, Pete!
  10. JfW

Requiem for a Concert Band

My understanding is that it's typical for far too many kids want to sign up for percussion than makes sense for the group. I remember being told as a fifth grader almost four decades ago that 4 years of piano lessons would be a requisite. By the time one of my nephews joined, they waived that...
  11. JfW

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Come to Minnesota. -11F with high winds.
  12. JfW

Advice on ungluing the middle joint on an alto clarinet?

I tried wrapping my head around this problem for a bit, and not coming up with any suggestions (other than the SOTSDO solution), I just chose to refrain from replying. Ultimately, I think Pete is correct.
  13. JfW

Would love some advice !

I've always maintained that it's not necessarily what you buy, it is who you buy it from that is the most important. When you figure that out, the make and model get figured out too. Good, local repair people are excellent sources of good horns, and service is an inevitability with woodwind...
  14. JfW

Would love some advice !

I'm just hoping peejer didn't end up dropping $1500 on something like an Allora. As I remember, in 2014, that was Yanagisawa 800 money....
  15. JfW

Bass clarinet case layout

For what it's worth, the more Protec cases I get, the more I am put off by them.
  16. JfW

3D Printed Saxophone - Sneak Preview

No, but I have a decent sized box full of old ADB Apple Keyboards........ 3d Printing is something I know I'm bound to get into at some point, but haven't done so....
  17. JfW

Happy Birthyear to Helen's TT Bass

http://bassic-sax.info/version5/about/gear/horn-set-ups/bass-set-up @Helen mentioned this was a 1922 forged instrument. Happy centennial!!!
  18. JfW

Inherited Sax

Those are actually fairly valuable and good enough players that some people settle on these as their "main horn". Its definitely worth getting a local technician to give a quote for refurbishment.
  19. JfW

ebay "anti" ranting

I won a goodwill auction on an Orsi stencil alto saxophone by a mere 43 cents or so using the same sort of tactic you do, Pete. I think the entire thing cost less than $60.
  20. JfW

Bass clarinet pad leads

I wish I had passed on my long time nightmare. What a heap!!
Back
Top Bottom