Search results

1. bari_sax_diva

Playing too loud

If you think the situation is unresolvable, then do what you have to do. Another possibility--especially if you like playing in this band--would be to inquire whether anyone had an inexpensive bass clarinet lying around they would loan or sell you, and then play THAT in the band. The same...
  2. bari_sax_diva

Is there really a stand-out student or doubling flute?

Ditto that, except my flute is an older Muramatsu Standard. Great, handmade flute, and they can be had for not too much bread. It also replaced an open-hole, inline-G flute that really wasn't worth the extra effort.
  3. bari_sax_diva

Sax sextets with bass sax

Thanks for the heads-up--I'll have to get a copy. I didn't know until I bought my contra-alto clarinet from him that Frank lives about five minutes from me. Cool guy.
  4. bari_sax_diva

And now, something completely different.

Want a big band chart of "My One and Only Love" that features bari throughout? I don't know if it's a dance chart particularly, but it's a fun blow...
  5. bari_sax_diva

Inventory of Bari Players & Their Horns

Here's mine... both Yamaha 62s. I bought the lacquered horn on the left in about '02. Brand new, still it its plastic wrap. I loved playing it from the first moment I laid eyes on it. Years later, it's showing some lacquer wear and a couple dings, but it's the one horn I still won't let...
  6. bari_sax_diva

Gig Haikus

Lead alto plays sharp Tenor plays too loud and flat Vodka helps me cope
  7. bari_sax_diva

I REALLY dislike poorly done transcriptions!

Well, geez, Pete... you can't hit a low F by now? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to repossess your Bari Geek Card. It's clear you don't deserve to carry one. ;-)
  8. bari_sax_diva

Which instrument is this?

Aw, bummer... I was hoping that guy who plays the hollowed-out carrots on YouTube had finally found a road gig. :-(
  9. bari_sax_diva

Intonation on 82Z tenor

Word. Just FORCE yourself to relax. It takes a LOT more air, but you can do it. Think of tenor as being a different instrument that just happens to have the same fingerings as your alto. Your sound on both horns will improve as a result.
  10. bari_sax_diva

What are some of the shows(and the books in them) everybody has played?

I'm also a relative novice at this. You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (Reed, um... 1? flute, picc, cl, alto/sop sax - my first show EVER, no rehearsal, and it was downright terrifying) Baby (a cut-and-paste reduction that included fl, cl, alto/bari sax, bass clar) Oliver (Reed 4: bassoon...
  11. bari_sax_diva

"This isn't Milli Vanilli"

I did an outdoor gig--on bari sax--in December in about 48-degree weather. Talk about frustrating... it was a Latin jazz big band and there are a lot of exposed parts on the bottom of the horn, which was playing at least 30 cents flatter than the top of the range by the second set. I ended up...
  12. bari_sax_diva

Post your pit setups

Well, here's a pic from last night... This is a union rehearsal band that never gigs (so I can't post a website), but plays interesting music and there's a bunch of good players in there who keep me on my toes. The leader is a copyist, and one ostensible reason for our existence is to...
  13. bari_sax_diva

Bass clarinet vs tenor sax

I play in two community concert bands, both for the same conductor. I do it as a way to help keep up my reading chops on doubles and as such, I tend to avoid playing sax unless it's a performance situation and they REALLY need me there. The conductor is sympathetic, and until I started playing...
  14. bari_sax_diva

Post your pit setups

For some reason, I don't usually get calls for shows until spring, and the next one I play will be a reduction of "Music Man" (clarinet, bass clar). Last thing I played was the reed III book of "Nine," so that setup only required clarinet, flute, picc, and alto sax, though it did involve at...
  15. bari_sax_diva

Big Sax Little Car

Is it one of the really cool ones that you mount at the corner of the hood, like the old guy down the street has on his station wagon? I always wanted one of those....
  16. bari_sax_diva

Big Sax Little Car

Awesome! What do I win? :grin:
  17. bari_sax_diva

Big Sax Little Car

Here's what I regularly put in my smart car: Bari on the bottom, bass clarinet on top of that, bag with small doubles, horn stands, and folding Manhasset music stand. You can't see the alto flute, but it's in there behind the driver's seat. There's also a stand light and wire music stand in...
  18. bari_sax_diva

whos from sotw?

Thanks. I just changed, though... didn't feel fruity enough.
  19. bari_sax_diva

whos from sotw?

Yep, they really will let just *anyone* have an account here. I'm living proof.
Back
Top Bottom