Search results

1. Heckelphone

Loudest recorder?

The garklein is generally the most annoying... ;-)
  2. Heckelphone

I think to myself

I have a few ;-) Heckelphone, sarrusophones (Bb tenor, Bb bass, and Eb contra), contrabass a anche ("reed contrabass"), ophicleide. I've actually had several performances on the bass and contra sarrusophones and heckelphone. For non-exotic but less common horns, I have sopranino sax, Db picc, G...
  3. Heckelphone

Your most recent public performance

Heckelphone! I performed last with the Ohlone Wind Orchestra (October 2012). They were playing a transcription of Holst's "The Planets", so I sat in on heckelphone (all the bass oboe parts were carried over intact). While I was there, I also covered 2nd oboe, and (on one piece) English horn...
  4. Heckelphone

Heckelphone on stage

Heckelphone! I know Ohlone makes recordings: don't know if they record every concert.
  5. Heckelphone

Heckelphone on stage

I'll be performing on heckelphone with the Ohlone Wind Orchestra (Fremont, CA) on Sunday, 10/14/12, playing Holst's "The Planets" (transcribed for wind ensemble). For the rest of the concert, I'll be playing oboe and (on one piece) English horn. Come and enjoy!
  6. Heckelphone

Please Don't Buy This

WTF? Is that upholstery? :shock:
  7. Heckelphone

Probably not many fans of this music here, but...

Heavy metal Metallica? You guys should check out Doctor Nerve. At least they have bass clarinet and soprano sax players as regular members ;-)
  8. Heckelphone

Geetars

4 or 5? A 5 string (usually) extends the range to low B. This not only lets you play a few steps lower, but also lets you finger patterns a bit higher up the neck, where the frets are closer together.
  9. Heckelphone

The Binmore Scale for community bands

Another system... Here's another (aimed more at jazz ensembles)... http://www.contrabass.com/pages/fines.html
  10. Heckelphone

Picture o' The Minute

Before they trip you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAaaAVJr9zg
  11. Heckelphone

Altissimo Note help?

fingering differences Did anyone tell you about the altissimo vent on the bass clarinet? You (probably) have a small hole pierced in the middle of the LH1 key pad (where your left index finger goes), with a smaller key connected just beneath it. For notes above high D, close LH1, but slide your...
  12. Heckelphone

New generation of clarinet?

Clarinets and Horns Let's not confuse the basset clarinet with the basset horn -- they are two different instruments. The basset clarinet is just a soprano clarinet (in C, Bb, or A) with range extended down to C. The basset horn is an alto-range clarinet in F, also with range extended down to...
  13. Heckelphone

Low Sax Quartet ~ Danses

More rumbling :-) Great find! But looks like 3 baris, 1 bass to me...
  14. Heckelphone

DEEP SCHROTT - world's first bass sax quartet

And if there is no life, there are no bass saxophones... Just a low Bb, reverberating into the void...
  15. Heckelphone

How many decimal points do you want? ;-) Just consider it shorthand for "Very very probably (to a statistical almost-certainty) the first bass saxophone quartet in the observable universe" ;)
  16. Heckelphone

One The Deep Schrott CD ("One") is now available. There is a link on their webpage (http://www.deepschrott.de/), or you can go straight to the label (http://www.poise.de/), and order using PayPal. I'm enjoying mine right now :-) They also sent me "Bitte Nicht Füttern" with Dirk Raulf (ss, ts...
  17. Heckelphone

Double reed players on airlines

pre-TSA In my student days, I used to carry a flute in my backpack when I flew. Apparently, it looks a lot like a pipe bomb on the xray machine...
  18. Heckelphone

Albisiphon

DCM The Dayton Miller collection also has an octave piccolo (i.e., 8va). It has a fairly crude wooden body, with keys spaced out enough for normal fingers: the pads are too close together for human hands. I'll see if I can dredge up a picture...
  19. Heckelphone

Bass tárogató

Orsi heckelphones? News to me! Heckel still makes heckelphones, and Guntram Wolf makes a bass oboe (to low F!) called the lupophone, but as far as I know, Orsi is concentrating on clarinets and (soprano) oboes these days. They do (or did) make sarrusophones and reed contrabasses: perhaps that...
  20. Heckelphone

What is your alto flute set up?

Alto flute Emerson, with straight head.
Back
Top Bottom