Search results

1. Cheap Clarinets (aka CSO)

About 15 years ago I invested in a new Buffet Prestige C clarinet. Every problem associated with the cheap Chinese horns I had on this instrument. Many barrels, mouthpieces and adjustments later, it was still flat above high C. Ralph Morgan modified a Bb clarinet mouthpiece and it improved...
  2. Alto vs. Tenor Vibrato

Terminal vibrato is vibrato that never stops. It goes right on through every note in a phrase, 8th notes, 16th notes, it never stops, it's terminal. Many sax instructors teach vibrato that never stops. That type of vibrato is out of style even for string players.
  3. Alto vs. Tenor Vibrato

I have a book on clarinet playing written by Jack Brymer, a prominent 20th century British clarinetist. In his chapter on intonation he actually recommends the use of vibrato to mask intonation problems. I'm a aware it can be done, but found it shocking he would admit it.
  4. Which alto players inspire you?

Hey, anyone remember Johnny Bothwell?
  5. Leblanc Reviews (LL, L7, Concerto, LL/L7 "A")

I recently purchased a new, old stock Leblanc Ambience Bb which was introduced about the about the same time as the original Concerto model, and seems to be almost the same instrument as the concerto. It came with a 65mm barrel but plays extremely flat with my mouthpiece of choice, a Pomarico...
  6. WF New People Introductions

We noticed.
  7. WF New People Introductions

Are pipes considered woodwinds?
  8. Selmer Soloist G or H?

alto, tenor, baritone, soprano?
  9. My End of The Patricola Story

I believe the competition from China and Taiwan has only made the new Yamahas better than ever. Not only the saxophone models. I just acquired a custom clarinet that plays more in tune than any of the French or Italian instruments I've ever played. And their motorcycles and audio equipment -...
  10. Java Reds

I like the new alto Java Red and the V12. It seems though whenever a new reed is introduced, Rico and Vandoren use their best cane. I'm going to stock up because this quality and consistency never lasts.
  11. Yamaha's German horns

Would you use a German mouthpiece and reed. What about the pitch? A-445? martinm
  12. Advice needed on a Selmer Series 10

I very often open the throat G# key when I sustain the middle B. Makes the note crystal clear, prevents cracking the note and improves the pitch. Try it, you'll like it. martinm
  13. Lip biting

Many guys have uneven or sharp lower teeth. My dentist made a covering out of soft plastic for my lower teeth. Lately I've been using a laboratory film called Parafilm M. This is a common problem. I can't play without the covering. Been using it for many years. martinm
  14. Wolfie Taninbaum

Many years ago I went to his factory in Ft. Lauderdale for a mouthpiece and he taught me his method of balancing reeds. He could make almost any reed play. martinm
Back
Top Bottom