Search results

1. 2nd Haboob of the Season!

Yeah, but it's a dry dust (at least 'til it rains).
  2. Joining a new Community Band

This year in Kansas City winter lasted well into April and summer began in early May. I would have welcomed an eight week spring. We may well have five months of summer. Nature's playground! As someone said, "The calendar may say April 15, but it's really January 106."
  3. MJJO: Oh Look at Me Now

Very, very nice. That sounds like a fun group to play with.
  4. MJJO stretch goal for 2018

Nestico's charts are always exceptionally classy. "Classy"' might be a vague description, but it's the most accurate word I know of to describe his music.
  5. Some very nice photos of a pair of Sarrusophones that I saw from QuinnTheEskimo...

"(sounds) like a saxophone crossed with an oboe." In other words, a cumbersome soprano sax as played by Coltrane?
  6. Baritone Sax Peg

For years I've been using an Oleg strap on bari. No problems, although an arthritic thumb is about the only problem I don't have.
  7. Bari in a concert band -- threshold of boredom?

I knew a couple who subbed in a small symphony, he on double and single reeds, she on percussion. He didn't think it fair that they were paid the same when he was usually playing and she napped between triangle entrances.
  8. Selmer Paris being sold

"...some members of the Selmer family will remain shareholders..." And others will take the money and run.
  9. Selmer Paris being sold

I suspect Selmer is going through what many older family-owned businesses encounter. A lot of people who inherited shares want to cash in.
  10. Selmer Paris being sold

In honor of the new ownership, a tenor with special Vulture engraving will be offered in 2019.
  11. Clarinet Vibrato ~ take two

I played for a leader who had been collecting charts since the Korean War (or police action, if you prefer). He had a wide variety, including Elgart, stuff he had come across over the decades. He even came across a book of all-tenor hotel band arrangements. We tried it once and he relegated...
  12. Clarinet Vibrato ~ take two

Very tight and tasty, Gandalfe. I always thought the Elgart charts were more challenging than most in the book.
  13. Bassoon -

Consider it a test of your eyesight.
  14. Fall back ... again.

"Shrub" must have been a late sleeper.
  15. Fall back ... again.

As an early riser, the last month of DST is an annoyance. Enough of this regimentation. Let's each pick our own time! FREE THE CLOCK
  16. Beautiful Mark VI Soprano Quinn's Selling

I helped out at a HS regional music contest. A girl was strolling the halls twirling her clarinet like a baton.
  17. Hey. Everyone in the paths of the hurricanes OK?

"Floods, fires, earthquake, hurricanes. Clearly someone baked a wedding cake for a gay couple." ( Updated from a facebook post by Mark Brazill.)
  18. The 10 Most Important Saxophones and their Players

I'm sure you could buy one for the price of an upscale new car. Servicing expenses might be a little less for the contra, but the car is more comfortable to sit in.
  19. What's in a band name?

I play in a "community symphonic band". I have no idea where the "symphonic" tag came from. The musical skills range from excellent to almost adequate (me). A couple of years ago a strong reed man joined us. After three pieces we had a conversation: He: "Has anyone told you you're a good...
Back
Top Bottom