Search results

1. hakukani

Easier = Not as Good?

They're all real instruments. However, an EWI is not a saxophone, or a clarinet, nor is a synthesizer a piano. Therefore, Brian Fan's instrument is not a guitar.
  2. hakukani

Mechanical Keyboards

Jack Welch can't type, either. He's admitted it.
  3. hakukani

Mechanical Keyboards

I learned to type in 9th grade on a manual typewriter. The school had just bought electrics, but the room didn't have the power distribution to plug them all in. So, we used the manual typewriters with blank keys. I worked up to about 75 WPM on them. For high school graduation, my mother bought...
  4. hakukani

What's in a name

'Steely Dan' is a sex toy.
  5. hakukani

“But I’m a Music Education Major!”

This is precisely the reason I got both degrees. The fact is, the requirements for educators is more and more an 'add on' to a BA or BS rather than a degree in elementary or secondary education. I envision a day when undergrad degrees will not include education degrees, and graduate degrees will...
  6. hakukani

The Woodwind Forum Age Poll

I'm just as mean at any age. :)
  7. hakukani

Stratford Festival 2014

What are you doing during the 'Bela, Bela, Bela' scene? That's a long space with no music....
  8. hakukani

Dumping XP for Linux

Linux is a lot easier to use than it was when I started with Red Hat Linux back in 2001. I went through several iterations of Fedora on an old PII machine that I was playing with as a server. Later, I went to ubuntu, and really liked it until they went to the new user interface. You can really...
  9. hakukani

Saxophonist Greg Fishman shares his system for the bis key

Why is he using the phone cam in portrait? It just sucks. Jbt, I try never to be bored. Anyway, what he's doing is similar to what you do on oboe or bassoon with the 1/2 hole.
  10. hakukani

Saxophonist Greg Fishman shares his system for the bis key

If there is a repeat or multiple repeat on a passage that has a lot of Bb's, I'll do a different fingering each time. It helps me keep track of which repeat I'm on.
  11. hakukani

Post your pit setups

Not when I'm the sound man :). There are lots of tricks for making a band sound natural in the house. Also, choreographers are crazy. They always want the 'bumps' by cowbell, ratchet, and or woodblocks to be larger than life. There's no greater compliment than to have someone ask why the...
  12. hakukani

Lux Aeterna - Crumb!

I just listened to a bit of the piece. I grabbed my (aulos) soprano recorder, and found that the part is mostly C scale. It should be relatively straightforward.
  13. hakukani

Lux Aeterna - Crumb!

George Crumb was a resident composer for two weeks at my university back in 1975. My impression from his lectures about his music is that if he wrote for soprano recorder, he meant soprano recorder. It's not a difficult instrument to learn.
  14. hakukani

Growling on Oboe

Bill Watrous played a two pitch multiphonic and then hummed the third pitch. I knew a bass bone player that did the same thing, and he explained it to me.
  15. hakukani

An open letter by a timpanist

Timpani is correct in modern English. The latin root is 'tymp', but the 'timp' spelling is the Italian. I always liked 'kettledrum' or the German 'Pauken' better, though. I don't think it's so much the fact that he had to practice on different instruments, it's the fact that he could not...
  16. hakukani

What musicals would you absolutely want to play in the pit orchestra for?

I'd much rather see the show than be in the pit these days....
  17. hakukani

Detroit Symphony Orchestra - financial problems

Yes, especially considering that the split violin was the norm until the late 1950s.
  18. hakukani

Your most recent public performance

I played last night with the band in my avatar, the Olliephonic horns. We've been playing a regular gig at the Blue Dragon Musiquarium since June 2008. There have been personnel changes, and trumpeter Ollie Mitchell is getting a bit frail at 85, so he's just announcing the tunes and not...
  19. hakukani

Chicago Symphony Orchestra goes on Strike

I suspect mismanagement of endowments, rather than reduced ticket sales.
  20. hakukani

Chicago Symphony Orchestra goes on Strike

Looks like they've settled. BTW, the entry level salary is ~67,000/year
Back
Top Bottom