Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Search results

1. fromsfca

Tuning in an ensemble

Tictactux nailed it: the biggest difference between professionals and amateurs is listening. I play reed 1 in a pit with a gal who is a good flute/picc player, and awful on clarinet. Before the show she dutifully tunes to the piano....(I don't)....10 minutes later, after the horns have sat for...
  2. fromsfca

Keeping the chops in shape

As reed 1 in a local pit band that works 28+ weeks a year, I have to keep my chops up. I spend most of my time working out on oboe and flute....only picking up sax (alto or sop), clarinet and piccolo a week prior to the gig. When we're not playing a show, I'm playing jazz or swing on sax and...
  3. fromsfca

What are your doubles?

Picc, flute and alto flute Sop, alto and tenor saxes Eb and Bb clarinet oboe I used to be a low reed player: bari, bassoon, bs clt and clarinet....sometimes flute....I decided to focus on high reeds...mainly, because it was too darn difficult to carry all them big horns to the gig. Playing Reed...
  4. fromsfca

Pete and the Akai EWI USB

I had one for awhile...the high end Akai 5000....I could never figure out the rollers used in place of the octave key. I was in a restaurant where a jazz guitar was backing something that sounded hideous....yup, the ole Akai 5000. I sold mine on ebay the next week at a little bit of a profit. I...
  5. fromsfca

Mark Chudnow Oboes

I play one: modified conservatory keywork (good enough for the show work I do). Wonderful sound and very good intonation (I believe Bulgheroni manufactures/d them to Mark's specs?). Yet, I find almost no comments or other players with exper1ence. I know: the shame, the shame, I don't play a...
  6. fromsfca

An Eflat Question

To close the loop: I did end up with a McClune mouthpiece. David sent me three to try; one was stuffy, the other two played fine, gave the clarinet a "clarinet" sound, with a sweet tone and very controllable response. It's paired to a Leblanc LL Eb from 1967 which plays quite well in tune up the...
  7. fromsfca

An Eflat Question

Thanks all for your comments: I'm totally in on a backun barrel (I use one on my Bb clarinet; a Leblanc Opus)...I'm going to try out some mouthpieces from David McClune. Highly recommended by a doubler I'm playing a show with right now.
  8. fromsfca

An Eflat Question

Reply to set alert on response
  9. fromsfca

An Eflat Question

All, I have managed to last my entire professional career not having to ever play an Eflat clarinet....joy, oh joy (I did at ome point double on contra alto in a Bob Florence ghost band). My perfect record is about to come to a screeching halt as I have a show coming up demanding the double...
  10. fromsfca

Altieri Gig Bags for sale

Cleaning out my closet. I have two Altieri gig bags; a flute/piccolo shoulder bag and a clarinet shoulder bag. Both are in excellent condition. Both have two very large side pockets (the clarinet bag pockets are large enough to carry a full size orchestra folio). The flute bag can carrya french...
  11. fromsfca

Smoking Between Acts

In my early 20s I played in a pit orchestra in Chicago. It was a theater in the round and the orchestra pit was below the stage. Each act would begin with the band marching from backstage onto the stage, where we would descend into the pit using a ladder. In the summer, we would wear tuxedos...
  12. fromsfca

FS: Bass Flute

Flute is sold....Thanks
  13. fromsfca

Thanks for the tip Gandalfe! Looks like the flute is already sold (though I don't yet have money in hand).
  14. fromsfca

Bought it for a show...kept it for jazz gigs...too many horns to drag around. Like new condition Di Zhou. Comes with case, two crutches, cleaning cloth and swab in hard case with shoulder strap (I usually carried it in a gig bag...which I'm also selling). Di Zhou basses are as good as any bass...
  15. fromsfca

Curved Head Joint

I bought my bass clarinet case here: http://www.carrycasesplus.com/cases.html Similar type cases are used extensively by traditional flute makers.
  16. fromsfca

Curved Head Joint

Thank you for compliment on the careful cutting on my part! There are two forms of foam lining: solid polyethylene, which compresses somewhat, but not very much, and can be cut with a knife, easily, taking out solid blocks of foam. The second type is charcoal ester foam. This foam is softer and...
  17. fromsfca

Curved Head Joint

I have found it rather easy to purchase a plastic (on in some cases aluminum) case filled with foam which I then cut to fit what I need (there is an option to get a softer foam that encases the instrument without bending the keys more adaptive to smaller diameter instruments like flute). Here's...
  18. fromsfca

In your opinions...

I've bought and sold many horns; +1 on the bubble wrap. The most important thing is to keep the horn from sliding around inside the case. Also be cautious about too much bubble wrap...it is possible to bend longer rods. Think about the trip the horn is about to take; possibly thrown into the...
  19. fromsfca

Mozart and the Basset Horn

In my choldhood, I recall poring over Selmer instrument catalogs (back when companies still printed catalogs) wondering about this strange animal; the F Basset Horn. In my now advancing age, I recognize it as an alto clarinet in F....pitched a step above the alto clarinet....an instrument...
  20. fromsfca

Does anyone know if the San Franciso Community Band.....?

Very interesting history; the SF Band was a union gig...not sure if it was green sheet, or there was a separate stipend (too long ago to remember)...though we did have to sign in prior to the concert. (Green sheet meaning half was paid by AFM and half by local government). There is something...
Back
Top Bottom