Search results

1. Old Dick

Bee Wax on Reeds?

Just a quickie re: Legere. I like/use them too and am especially pleased with them on my lower horns –– bass clarinet, bass and baritone sax
  2. Old Dick

WF New People Introductions

Hey Al, I started as an old newbie too (at 61) and have since learned a lot from many of these folks over the last 15 years - welcome to a wonderful ride and long may you play!!!
  3. Old Dick

Sonny Rollins, the Colossus

Sonny is indeed a role model for us folks in our mid-70s (and I've got a LOT more still to learn than he does).
  4. Old Dick

Weird spring

Oh, THAT kind of Spring – what with 10 below zero (-35 windchill), car stuck in a snow drift in my driveway, and a winter storm ready to drop another five inches or so on us I thought that maybe folks somewhere other than Minnesota might be complaining too.
  5. Old Dick

What musicals would you absolutely want to play in the pit orchestra for?

As a geezer, and still a music student (taking bass clarinet lessons at present), I would like to play in almost anything. But, having been an opera fan since I was but a tad - I was converted by hearing Callas on a Saturday MET radio broadcast in the early 1950s - and since then have always...
  6. Old Dick

Tip of the Hat to Rob Verdi

I have at least one CD of Rob Verdi doing wonderful things - with a variety of horns - and can only second your tip of the hat. Quite a musician!!
  7. Old Dick

Bass clarinet - what reed strength do you play?

As a relatively unaccomplished bass-clarinet (student) player, I find I squeak less and have both a better tone and range if I use a Legere 2.5 plastic reed - on whichever mouthpiece of the two I have (a Yamaha 4C, and Vandoren B45)
  8. Old Dick

My "In Man" Story...and how it applies to band management, and life in general

Thanks for the great story - and thanks too to your spouse for the recipe!!
  9. Old Dick

Selmer Contrabass Sax

Rats!!! It's listed as 'out of stock' - oh well, just my luck...
  10. Old Dick

Your most recent public performance

Later this morning I am off to sing with the Cold Spring (MN) Maennerchor at the Discovery Baptist Church in scenic Sauk Rapids, MN. Who would ever have imagined real Baptists asking a bunch of old white guys, often singing in German, to provide music for their Sunday morning service? Changing...
  11. Old Dick

Conn-O-Sax & Cohen in NY Times

Folks, One of the many joys of my retirement is a leisurely browse through of the (online version) of the NY Times every day. A review, in the music section, of a concert featuring Paul Cohen and a Conn-O-Sax may be of some interest...
  12. Old Dick

How Much do Music Artists Earn?

I don't know that this will apply to you youngsters, but I found survival 'till sixty-five allowed me to live as an artist (well, maybe without much talent but at least doing nothing other than music). Between my teachers' pension and Social Security I am able to eat, play and stay out of...
  13. Old Dick

Yes, I'm Officially a Grandfather

Congratulations!!! Finally, a chance to get even with your children ... (And a lot more love too!!!)
  14. Old Dick

Pretty. Expensive.

SOTSDO Isn't it accepted common knowledge that extended range saxophones (low A baritones and altos, low G basses, whatever) have a "muffled" tone? And that's probably a good thing, depending on what you mean by 'muffled'... But my low A Yani (B992P) does not seem...
  15. Old Dick

Yamaha 221ii bass clarinet

I purchased one about a year ago and have had no problems with it. It does play a bit sharp sometimes but as Tictactux, and my teacher (yes you can teach an Old Dick new tricks), both point out this is easily corrected by pulling out the neck a little bit. Good luck on the clarinet adventure!!
  16. Old Dick

What horns do the Chinese play?

For whatever reasons I have, of late, been spending time with You Tube looking for mostly mainland Asian military bands. I have found an awful lot of interesting marching, by both men and women, in a wide variety of uniforms - but not much involving mobile musical organizations. What groups I...
  17. Old Dick

YouTube = Downfall of Music ...

me too I am on no CDs ... and can't figure out how to film/record myself and, even if I could, I doubt that I'd manage to get/load it on YouTube. - Now if someone recorded me, alone or in a group, and put it on without my knowledge I think I might be a bit er ... um ... uh (can you say pissed...
  18. Old Dick

This day in history...

replete with rue Oh man, and here I thought it was "cinco de Julio."
  19. Old Dick

"Today's Music is #@$%!"

What about "Bang on a Can" stuff? And the new "new" music in general?
  20. Old Dick

Ancient Egyptian Saxophonist Charms Snake

Thank you, thank you!!! (I wish I could have had this back in my professoring days. My Intro to Archaeology students would have loved it.)
Back
Top Bottom